1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All black or Gold on black

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tvrtko, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I've got Squire VM Jazz 77. It's black on black with regular hardware (silver)...

I am getting ready to do a little appearance improvement. So, I said: OK, let's get it all black with black hardware (tuners, control plate and bridge)... Than I came to idea to make it Gold hardware on black. That might be a better idea. Did anyone tried this? If you did, please, post the pic. So I can compare. Thank you.

2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Good as GOLD!!!

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    my vote for black as not a gold fan....

Good luck!

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Because of maple neck and head, gold might sit much better... Black hardware is actually initial idea. Still cannot decide where to go...

[​IMG]

6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Hmm, yeah I think black tuners will look weird on the maple head, in fact I think gold will look weird too. Whatever you want, I guess!

7. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    Just took the gold off my Fender Zone and switched to all black, including black strings. Much better.

8. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    GOLD 4 sure. Black may stand out on the maple headstock, but would disappear on the body. Gold tuners would look exceptional because of the White Block inlays on the maple board. Think to yourself "Gold and Ivory"... very organic. Change the control cover to gold (or brass), leave the black knobs, then try it with gold knobs. Remember:

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good Blaster at your side....!!!"

9. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    With a maple board and headstock, I'd go for gold. And I'm really picky about gold hardware.

10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I put together a parts bass that went through some parts swap. It was actually an incredibly nice bass. But the hardware became mismatched after a neck swap. It ended up with black hardware on the deep amber sunburst body with gold tuners on an amber-ed birdseye maple/ebony neck. It actually worked better than I ever would have guessed. No pix, as it was stolen. But it actually didn't look as mismatched as reading this would lead you to guess.

11. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Exactly what I was thinking...

12. For my taste, gold for sure. I'm constantly daydreaming about having a bass/guitar with all gold hardware. I even have considered doing it to my Antique White Epi LP jr.

13. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Now, additional problem: vintage gold or "flashy" gold? There are some "orangy" kind from China that is disgusting...)

This would be "flashy" example:

$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyO,RBQw8VpC7tQ~~60_57.

And this would be "vintage" gold example:

$(KGrHqR,!h4FDiuI0)K6BQ+zdCWP1w~~60_57.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I don't know why people want to make the details in their basses disappear. Because that is what black on black does, IMO. Contrast is what makes a bass stand out visually. So I vote gold, unless you WANT to have everything blend all together.

15. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Gold.

16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Black and Gold. And Welcome to Steeler Nation :)

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If that's a picture of the actual bass, I would leave the chrome, and just leave it how it is. It's a really nice looking instrument.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, totally. Chrome is where it's at for black.

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Gold, definitely cool!

20. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    I'd stick with chrome, but gold would be my second pick.