Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All black P bass w/ a maple neck (pictures?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Feb 20, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Black body, pickguard, bridge, tuners, etc....

with the maple neck of course

anyone have a picture of one like this. I want to do this, but I am curious about how the final product will look

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  3. I think it would look pretty nice. Fill in the blanks on that P-Bass pic and you can imagine it. It's worth a shot!

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    You're welcome. I won't be changing the hardware on mine because it is a vintage instrument, but I bet yours will look great with black hardware. I have black hardware on another bass that I built. The only thing I need to warn you about is that black hardware tends to get scratched and it shows. The black stuff is just a coating over metal. The black stuff comes off of the tuning posts when the strings are installed or removed.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Heres my 78 P...second from left in the MIA picture.

Xyllion- out of curiosity, what's the width of your 78 at the nut? I know that there were a few available, and mine is more like a J in width than a P. Mine is 1.5".

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Mine is 1 5/8 inches which I believe is the more common P bass neck width. 1 1/2 like yours is more common for jazz basses. However, I have seen several P bass with the thinner neck like yours.