1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All black P bass w/ a maple neck (pictures?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Feb 20, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Black body, pickguard, bridge, tuners, etc....

with the maple neck of course

anyone have a picture of one like this. I want to do this, but I am curious about how the final product will look

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  3. I think it would look pretty nice. Fill in the blanks on that P-Bass pic and you can imagine it. It's worth a shot!

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    You're welcome. I won't be changing the hardware on mine because it is a vintage instrument, but I bet yours will look great with black hardware. I have black hardware on another bass that I built. The only thing I need to warn you about is that black hardware tends to get scratched and it shows. The black stuff is just a coating over metal. The black stuff comes off of the tuning posts when the strings are installed or removed.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Heres my 78 P...second from left in the MIA picture.

Xyllion- out of curiosity, what's the width of your 78 at the nut? I know that there were a few available, and mine is more like a J in width than a P. Mine is 1.5".

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Mine is 1 5/8 inches which I believe is the more common P bass neck width. 1 1/2 like yours is more common for jazz basses. However, I have seen several P bass with the thinner neck like yours.