All Blues on Hofner and Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I really liked the Hofner tone! This Peavey is growing on me too!

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bump in case anyoneis interested. The Hofner is a $450 import that comes wigh rounds forsom reason.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You know, those two basses didn't sound identical, but they sounded about as close as you can reasonably expect two extremely different basses to sound. And people wonder why we say, "Tone is in the hands."

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    as Bootsie confirms, as long as groove is in the heart

sure tone is in the hands:cool:

Cheers,
    Wallace

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I thought the same thing last week when I posted a clip of me playing the same bassline on my Peavey Forum five and a Skyline DJ5. That has actually slowed my GAS. I will also say that recording myself has certainly given me some clear ideas of what I need to practice too!:smug:

FlatwoundFunk and JimmyM like this.
  6. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    The one thing I loved about the Hofner I used to own was its ability to kind of emulate the sound of an upright if I played it near where the neck meets the body. It took advantage of that hollow body to deliver that.

7. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I like the tone of the Peavey much better.

The basses sound nothing alike in my opinion despite being played by Dr. Cheese.

P.S. - The Lakland's tone was superior to the Peavey tone in the other video.

murphy, pcake and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Absolutely. Given your typical choices in instruments, I was surprised to see you diggin' on a Hofner. I have one and just recorded some with it this morning.
    That and your Forum 5 talk about antithesis ! The Hoffie is unique and can sound huge in the right setting.
    My favorite Miles line to knock off is So What ? especially if I pick up a fretless to showcase how badly I play one.
    @ JimmyM they both sounded like Doc but have a distinct character as well.
    I recorded several different basses this morning, they all sound like an 800 pound gorilla is playing them that's just my baked-in sound I guess. But The ahh factor was in 2 different basses on two given tunes though .

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think I would have a real use for the Hofner, so I wouldn't buy one, but I could see where a studio player, or someone who does many different gigs could use onel

FlatwoundFunk, Peacefrog35 and Mr_O'B like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can see what you are saying, but the note choice and phrasing sound like me for better or worse like

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  11. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    You definitely get your distinct sound out of the different basses! :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think if you rolled off the treble, you would be more of the sound you are looking for. It's always tough trying to come close to an upright tone for songs like this.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those Hofner controls were kind of strange.

14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You are getting some good tones, but some of it sounds kind of thin for what I think you are shooting for. I would fool around with the EQ - I think you will find it.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may do that sometime although I cannot see me actually buying the Hofner.

16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Understand - for most of us, a Hofner is something we get if we are doing Beatles covers and want to look the part (that's why I got my Epi Viola).

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I liked the Hofner for the Blues, for sure. However, this is "bedroom sound" what we get when playing by ourselves. The REAL test is how it sounds playing with the band.

For me - the BEST bass sounds I have had on a gig (I record all our gigs from the audience position) were '08 MIA P with LaBella Flats and my Peavey Fury with T.I. Flats. Classic Rock.

FlatwoundFunk and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    To me the Peavey sounds like any other bass, but the Hofner gets as close to an upright sound as you can probably get on an electric bass guitar. I preferred the Hofner tone, for this use-- but couldn't play one for an entire gig, or even most of one. It would be nice to have in a collection for special uses. I have bought 5 basses in the last 6 months so I will be taking a break from adding to the collection, though.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This. Well said. And so true.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That's probably true, but I got my first violin bass (Jay Turser) because it was super light and I thought it would provide me some relief from using this extremely heavy Jazz Bass I had. Ended up being my main bass for over a year. Then I got my late 60's Realistic violin bass because it said "Realistic" on the headstock :D A real fixer-upper, but fix it up I did and it kills now! I still love violin basses, but our singer hates them and complains every time I trot one out. I still trot one out now and then, but he's kind of right that my Fenders work better overall, so even though I don't have to listen to him, I do.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021