1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All-Controls bypass switch - Diagram?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by goldenglory18, Mar 18, 2013.

1. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    All,

I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, but it's Monday and I still have a case of the weekend-lazies...

I'm planning on trying out a bypass switch on my 08 MIA P-bass. I want to have the option of going straight pickup to jack if I need a little boost here and there, and still keep the option of having the stock pots working as intended. Is there a diagram out there for this? Any suggestion on a good switch (Maybe a gibson style three-way? I'd also like to be able to use the addition as an "off" switch as well.)

Thanks a bunch!

2. 4065969204_e9e0cb5e54_o.

Use the first terminal of the volume pot as the "preamp input" in the diagram, and the second terminal of the volume pot as the
    "preamp output" in the diagram.

3. goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That seems way more complicated than it needs to be....

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    So what have you come up with, then?

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Not really. One side of the switch connects the output jack to either the pickup or the tone/volume pots. The other side of the switch connects or disconnects the tone/volume pots and the pickup. If you want a true bypass/direct to jack pickup signal then you must disconnect the pots from the pickup. If not then you could just use a SPDT switch and merely switch the jack between the pots and pickup but the tone pot setting will still color the tone of the pickups.

Ken

6. How so? This is the absolute simplest scheme possible to do what you want, and is the common method of bypassing preamps on nearly all basses with active/passive switches.

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you know the answer, why ask the question?

8. goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Woah. I was just taken back by the "complexity" of the switch, that's all...

Thanks Ken. I guess I was just imagining a more simple solution, and nothing was making sense to me. Apparently it was because I was thinking to small/simple from the beginning.

Yeah, I have no idea. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. Again, I was just thinking there was a more direct "off/on" switch.

Kinda like imagining flying pink elephants and horses with magical powers. It all makes sense in la-la land until science and common sense set in.

Who implied I knew the answer? :rolleyes: