Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Fender rig ... who'da thunk it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My daughter had to go to her friend's birthday party today at a place right across the street from the Guitar Trader. So what could I do? I left my wife and daughter at the fun center and bopped on over. Now, they didn't have anything that I couldn't live without, so I pulled an MIM Jazz Bass (4-string, of all things) off the wall and plugged it into a Bassman 250 2X10 combo. Now I don't know what this setup would cost, but it would be a lot less than a comparable Sadowsky/Eden rig.

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Lots of great tones at serviceable volume. The bass was well set up, and played nicely. Good slapping, popping tones and excellent fingerstyle tones. The amp was very versatile and could cover most genres.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a decent rig that costs a lot less than the high end stuff, I'd recommend this one.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Face it, Munji, Eden is dead to you.

3. Somewhat disappointed, as well. Unless the entire original post is sarcastic, I detect no sarcastic content. I've come to expect more of you, Munji.

Of course, I'm not terribly clever- perhaps I'm just not reading between the lines. :cool: <---Braille reading glasses

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No, I'm serious. In my old age, I've acquiesced to the fact that not everyone can "just go get an Eden rig." So, while I still don't endorse Mesa or Ampeg products for bass, I at least want to present an opinion about good options for folks just starting out or with limited resources. I wouldn't be embarrassed to play a gig with that Fender setup, except for the 4-string part. I'd certainly recommend spending the extra bucks to stay out of the B-word arena.

I can't be a doodoo all the time, you know.

And I still gig my Eden amps, especially when I don't feel like lugging the Aggie. I'll take the WW when I don't feel like even lugging the Eden. You know, I will say this, the WW actually sounds bett ... uhh ... a little bet ... oh, never mind again.

5. I thought the same thing about that amp. It was in a provided backline with a 1x15 cab underneath. It was a really good sounding setup.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'll be honest -- I really detest the lower end Fender bass amps. Horrible sound.

That said, I played my DB teacher's GK with a GK 210, and then with a Fender 1x15 on it as well (with a BG.) Gotta say, the setup sounded a lot better with the Fender cab. I actually considered buying it for a while, but then realized that I don't have the space to store it, the gigs that demand the extra volume, or the vehicle to transport it to those gigs in addition to my 1x15 Yorkville combo, BG, and DB. While not heavy, the cab was definitely larger than it needed to be, and there's no way I could've fit it in the vehicle (94 Civic.)

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The Bassman line isn't their lower end.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I miss the daze when I used a '64 P-bass, '60s-something Bassman with a '74 Bassman 100 4x12 cab.
    That setup served me well in various high school garage bands & then into my 20s playing in 8-9 piece R&B/Pop horn bands.

The P-bass is now hot-rodded(somewhat) as a P-J.
    The Bassman amp is in need of repair(again).
    ...and now the cabinet has an impedence problem(it shuts down the Eden amp after a few minutes).

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I use a Fender rig. P Bass, Bassman 400 2x10 combo and even Fender cables (which are probably made by someone else anyway). About the only non Fender item is the strings (I prefer D'Addario's).

I've gotten nothing but positive comments on my tone.

10. The Fender Bassman 150 and Fender Jazz Deluxe are great together. When I have to get a better rig, I might go Fender. Who knows. :meh:

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hee hee I love Fender strings. :)

Neato thread. Maybe I should look into Fender amps, I need an "everday" head foor gigging small bars and stuff, I'm nervous about using my (perfectly flawlessly functioning) '67 Bassman. That old vintage tube amp from Fender sounds astounding through my Eden 210 cabinet...

12. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    But would you compromise a serious lack of customer service for a good sounding rig? not me..

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I know :). I wasn't referring to the Bassman, I was referring to their lower end models. "Rumble" or something, I think.

14. The first rule of owning a Rumble... is not telling anyone you own a Rumble. :p

15. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'll be purchasing the bassman 250. It has what I need.

Also, you put a sansamp DI and compressor in front of a Rumble, and it doesn't sound half bad.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not too surprising that the Fender bass amps are getting better. Theres got to be some cross polination from the SWR line they own now.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Munji, you of all people should know that showroom tone and gig tone aren't the same. If you told me you used it at a gig, and the think did a good job at gig volume, then I'd be impressed.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I wasn't trying to impress. I was trying to point out an alternative to the degradation of a B-word rig or the expense of an E-word rig for guys just getting into playing.