Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All free VST song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 4, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was goofing around with making some MIDI tracks in Cubase the other day, and this little ditty popped out. Kinda sounds like it should be in the background of a VW commercial. :D Just a little example of what you can do with free stuff! (All of the VSTi's used are available for free download on the web.)

There's some deep bass that kind of distorts on some speakers.

(No loops by the way, and that includes percussion. All programmed by me!)

Attached Files:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey, come now! Somebody has to be interested in casually made electronic music. :D

3. I'm not impressed until you record a version done entirely on free software... :ninja: :D

Nice work. What VST's were you using?

Any chance of sending me just the MIDI file - without the VST's - and I could remix using a whole new bunch of sounds / plugins?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    To be fair, Cubase LE is often available for free, and you can download free VST host programs from Hitsquad. I just happen to have Cubase SE 'cause I paid for it in a bundle with the Firewire audio interface.

I could send you the Cubase project file - I'm not sure if I could mix it down to a MIDI file and have you still be able to edit the individual tracks. Then again, I might be able to do that and just not know it. :D I'm still new at this.

I'll give a list of the VST's I used when I get home from work later tonight, as I can't recall them all off of the top of my head.

5. If you export the MIDI (or Save as.../MIDI, perhaps) then you should get a MIDI file that any sequencer can open (I use Sonar). The trick is to save as a MIDI type 1 (or 0 I can never remember) that keeps tracks separate. If you get the wrong type then it merges all the MIDI into one track, although the MIDI output channels are kept separate.

Again, nice work.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I like it but it sounds too squeaky clean to my tastes, needs some "dirt" if you ask me. Guess I simply like a healthy dose of lo-fi. :p

There's some great free noise samples here:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Speaking of lo-fi, I have a pretty sweet plugin that basically just puts "old vinyl noise" over whatever you're doing. You can adjust the amount and the "oldness". I can't imagine using it a whole lot, but it's good to know I have it. :D

Ok, the rundown is:

Track 1: Drums/percussion - Dr-Fusion2. I love this thing!
    Track 2: Main Bleeps/Bloops - Analog Warfare 2. This is mostly a bass synth, but I just used it a bit higher.
    Track 3: Second part - Purple
    Track 4: Short, off-beat "woop woops" - Chill
    Track 5: Doubling of track 2 - EZpoly. Another great synth.
    Track 6: Bass - Lizard2. This is just a preset. What a great sound!
    Track 7: Pad - Cygnus. This is a GREAT free synth for ambient and far out spacey-sounding pads.

I've only got one export option for MIDI, and that's to crank it out as a .mid. I don't think that's an allowable attachment (and my attachment limit is nigh - I wish I had some free web hosting) so if anyone wants a copy of it, (MKS!) let me know what e-mail I can send it to and I'll do it that way.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    You mean the one you can get on the http://www.izotope.com/ website? Just snagged it, you have to sign up for a reg code but it's still free.

9. You have PM... :D