1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All gear snobism aside, how are behringer's aluminum cone speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Compared to the original Hartke speakers, which I liked when I tried them lately?

You see, Behr' has a 300 watt that is actually cheap, and sounds ok on the demos I've heard (haven't yet tried one, actually), and I guess that, paired with a SansAmp, it wouldn't be all that bad as a second, smaller, rehearsal rig...

Thoughts?

2. I wouldn't buy it without having some kind of warranty. Good luck.

3. They are not as robust as the Hartke speakers. If you are not pushing them hard you might be okay.

4. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I think you could do way better for the money going used. Look at Peavey. My rules of Behringer: Amps-no one does them worse. Effects-Decent but fragile. Mixers-Great bargain actually, just buy one or two more channels than you need.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I thought Behringer discontinued their bass cabinets

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah their pro audio stuff and the v-amp pro is ok gear, but I'd stay away from their bass amps and cabs. It's really not about tone, it's about reliability.

7. the 300 watt is punchy and loud- a "workingman's Hartke tiltback", if you will.
    i've played through it at a club several times, and the 300's speaker sounds great. i plan on picking up a 300A (the aluminum speaker, ala Hartke) this spring. i'm told that the 300 is also showing up in a few nyc rehearsal spaces.

a number of amazon reviews cite amp crap-out at some point, while others say it's consistent and a valued gig companion. from my experience, i'm willing to take the risk for the price.

8. Hi.

The "Behringer watt" is actually quite a bit more expensive than a "honest watt" from a more reputable manufacturer.

Based on only a few measurements though.
    Worse than peak, closer to 1/3 IMLE.

The only aluminium coned B I've played through didn't sound that bad, but I wouldn't want tom rely on it either.

Regards
    Sam

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I avoid B now, but don't think the aluminum cone speakers are much worse than the rest of the units. Fragile pots (nylon rotor shafts that snap easily), very heavy cab material that easily dissolves in dampness, poor reliability—I have met all these problems when forced by an artist's endorsement deal to use a BX1200 as a stage monitor for a couple of years. Very unpleasant IME. Did I mention it weighed a ton?

Sorry to sound like I am bashing, but I am just reporting. The speakers didn't stand out as better or worse than the rest of the package, though I never really pushed them.

10. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I played with a band that practiced at the drummer's house and he had the Behringer 450 watt head and the 4-10 cab and when using a SansAmp BDDI I got a decent tone. I also played and recorded a few times with another group with the Behringer 2-10 cab and a hartke head and again- with the SansAmp, I could get decent tone. Without the Sansamp, I wouldn't have been impressed. Neither case would show any reliabilty because they were "studio amps" that weren't moved or gigged. But for only $300, it could be a decent stag monitor using the DI output on the sansamp to FOH.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The word "cardboard" comes to mind.

12. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Describes both tone and durability in one word!

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Personal experience with a couple guys rigs locally, as well as numerous internet reports, says the 10's are prone to self destruction, by the aluminum parts tearing loose from the rest of the assembly.

This is due to them having poor tone in general, IMO there, but more specifically poor response in the "beefy frequencies" of a bass guitar. This leads users to crank up volumes, bass knobs, and using the sub-octave knob on the behringer amps trying to get some sort of decent lowend volume out of a speaker that just can't make it. This leads to the cones pumping so hard they literally rip themselves apart.

Caveat: This applies to their bass amps and 410 cabs of a few years ago. Don't know if things have changed or improved since then.

That's about as non-biased as I can be discussing that stuff.:p

14. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    You get what you pay for in this case. Over the long-term, the brand is junk. Save your money and buy something better even it delays the purchase. Pay a bit more now or pay 2-3x as much later.

15. "All gear snobism aside,"

I should have added: Good luck with that. :eyebrow: :eek: ;)

16. FWIW, I've really enjoyed the tone I've hed when using Behringer amps and cabs numerous times in the past, punchy and articulate. But I've never owned any of it, so can't comment on reliability.
    I couldn't get over the name enough to buy for myself.

-RTK

17. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I had good reliability my Behringer cabs. I got more than 4 years out of my 410 before I sold it in near perfect condition.

I've got a 115 in my shed that popped after being run hard for 6 years, which I think was fair considering how I treated it. I'm planning on re-coning it at some point.

I always feel like the proverbial painful 'white knight' whenever I get in on Behringer topics but I can't help but tell the truth. I've always gotten much more value than I bargained for from their bass cabs. If tone is your goal though I'd avoid them altogether, especially the aluminum cones. I didn't like the aluminum cones at all when I heard them. I've only ever owned paper coned Behringer gear.

18. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Based on how many I've seen that needed speaker replacements, I wouldn't trust them.