All graphite body Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, May 2, 2004.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is a ? for those who like and are interested in the sound of an all Graphite Bass.if one met your Needs and was very much affordable would you purschase it? and is the price a factor sometimes in the possible purchase between a wooden Bass or an all Graphite Bass?
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well yes, because obviously graphite is more expensive, but I think the main reason is the tonal qualities of graphite(carbon fiber)instrument. An all carbon fiber instrument is probably too sterile sounding for most people. I love carbon fiber necks personally, I like how consistant they are, and the clarity of all the notes, but the warth acheived through wood is something I want. An all carbon fiber bass is probably only suited to people who want to do very few adjustments, and people who want that all carbon fiber sound, which i think is not that many people.
  3. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I would get an all graphite bass if it was competetively priced with wood necked basses and the tone was happening for me. I like to try different things.
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've played the Status Stealth before and been very impressed - obviously the clarity of graphite in its sound was very obvious, but it still retained warmth. (For proof of this, check out The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall for the sound of John Entwistle's all-graphite Status Buzzard). If there was a lower-cost alternative to such a bass, I'd definitely be interested.

Russ :bassist:
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    With an all graphite bass, you could round out the tone a bit and take the edge off with electronics and pickups, but I prefer a combination. Like a Quantum series modulus.
  6. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had a neck-thru Modulus that was decent. But the problem was the was bass fairly one diminsional and I attibute that to the fact that 1/3 of the body was graphite and the pickups sat in the graphite. It was really hard to dial in any kind of sound other than the typical midrange finger funk kinda sound....which I LOVE, but not for every song.

OR, maybe the problem wasn't the graphite at all...maybe the problem was that I'm a total hack...hmmmm :meh:
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Also keep in mind that a BassLab may sound rather different from the others, since rather than being a solid beam, it is completely hollow, with the vibrations being carried over a "skin."
  8. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I would certainly be interested in having ONE of these basses... not for every song, but it's a usable tone.
  9. Like XO-Bionic I have played a Status Stealth all graphite and it was supurb...light a well balanced and the tonal range was supurb....and yes it still retained the warmth of classic basses but with a raspy edge that i just adore...

Status Graphite Neck basses are the best in the business neck to Zon's composite necks...and much better than modulu's...people often disregard Status..but they are a high end custom company that can easily compete with the big boys..just with styling that is unique,,!!!..
  10. from what i've heard of basslabs, i'd buy one if the price were right. i can't say i have as much interest in a moses or status, however. but i've never played a bass with a composite neck, so what do i know?

not much.