Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All hail Lord Valve!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Dec 12, 2002.

1. I bought a set of preamp tubes from Lord Valve and thought I'd relay the experience to y'all.

A couple of weeks back I emailed him, told him I was a bass player and was interested in an interesting tube setup for my Ampeg SVP-PRO. I told him that price was a factor but was not the factor.

About a week later I got an email from Lord Valve telling me that he had some NOS Beijing 12AX7 that were great for bass preamps ($10) and recommending a JAN 5751 ($8) to replace the 12AU7.

I called Lord Valve last Friday after work. He's a fountain of knowledge on stuff like this. I ordered five of the Chinese 12AX7 and one 5751.

The order arrived on Monday, insured and well-packed - along with a floppy disk full of useful information and a couple of samples of some other stuff he's selling.

I retubed the SVP last night and fired it up. Gobs of thick, warm tone, even with the preamp set mostly flat. After playing about eight bars all the blood drained to my nether regions and I had to sit down - the tone was that good.

Now the preamp sounds like I always thought it could and I don't think I'll buy tubes from anyone else. Lord Valve is friendly and takes the time to make sure you get exactly what you want.

Here's a link to his website. I'm extremely happy with the whole transaction - and the new tubes :)

http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve

2. hey allan, did he give you the magic goop for connections? I'm convinced that is what made my amp so dreamy.:p Seriously, the disk and connection solvent were very nice plusses, especially when you consider the knowledge and prices he also provides.

a big thumbs up for lord valve.

3. No, he didn't give me any magic goop - but did give me a small sample of cleaning cloth and a sample of some solder plus the floppy disk.

The man's a genius.

4. yep yep - got my QSC poweramp from him at a great price. He even made me some custom length Speakon - 1/4" cables.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    He's right here in town for me so I go to visit him occasionally. As for being friendly, don't tick him off!! :D ;)

[​IMG]

6. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Hey!- there's no round chambered. Well, I guess that's a good thing(for the cameraman).

I got an awesome deal on a PLX1602, and then on two RMX1850HD's. Very good to work with and the *best* prices on QSC. He sells new for what they can go on ebay used.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so you'd say they're a definate improvement over the EH's? i need to retube my svp, and right now i think i'm just gonna use sovtek 12ax7lps's, because i already told my local dealer i'd get them from him. what kind of music do you play? what kind of sound do you go for? how are the new tubes in terms of cleanliness? i'm looking for some that distort less easily.

8. I agree! The Lord helped me out too, and I like his extras.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Don't - DO NOT - get 12AX7LPS tubes from any seller who doesn't benchtest them for sonic defects before selling them. They run about 40% sonic defects from raw stock. They are also unsuitable for use in high-vibration applications like a combo amp and have higher current draw, if that is a concern for your PS circuit. The 12AX7LPS is probably the best-sounding 12AX7* out there, but it is definitely not for all applications.

Don't buy any preamp tube from a seller who doesn't test them in a real amp first, come to that.

As for Lord Valve, I no longer recommend him, based on observing his bizarre and abusive behavior on UseNet's a.g.a newsgroup. What can you say? It just erodes trust in the guy's judgment. He works too hard at cultivating a reputation as a headcase (see photo above) and when a businessman proudly bills himself as an "a___hole" it doesn't inspire confidence.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Allan, what tubes were you using before? EH's?

Can you go into a little more detail on the sonic differences between the old tubes and new? Did you actually A/B them? or just put the new ones in and power up?

I've been pretty happy with the EH's, and just wondering now if ignorance is bliss. ;)

Thanks!

11. Couple comments here.

Bongolation, what does hardware have to do with Usenet? So the guy's a nutcase - there's no question I can see on his hardware or his knowledge. I guess you can recommend (or not recommend) anyone you like for whatever reason you like, though :)

seamus, I retubed and powered up. Using a cordless drill the whole operation took less than 15 minutes and I think I was pretty familiar with the way the EH tubes sounded.

Tone was considerably warmer and thicker than the EH tubes were - the tone is more vintage amp than hi-fi now. I always thought the EH tubes were a bit sterile. There's a bit of character there that wasn't there before - it made that much difference. I was very happy with the investment and the service.

thetaurus, I play mostly blues and vintage (as opposed to classic) rock.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Alright, ease up on my homeboy Bongo! Yeah, Willie can be a bit tempermental but I honestly believe that he does a good job of recommending tubes based on the needs of the customer using his personal experiences with various valves. I don't necessarily agree with all of his opinions. As with everything else I'm considering, I listen to what he has to say, do my own research and if what he said makes sense I use it. Man, I posted the picture as a joke. Do I need to edit it out of there??

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thanks for the info AG, I think I'll give them a go sometime.

14. Lord Valve

Lord Valve

Dec 13, 2002
    Denver, CO.

Actually, what you got was a 5814A (high quality mil-spec 12AU7), not a 5751. A 5751 is more like a 12AX7, it's too hot to use where a 12AU7 goes. As for the Chinese 12AX7s, I've always liked them; they're clean and quiet. The machines those NOS Beijing-production 12AX7s I sent you were made on are now in the Shuguang factory; they don't exactly have 12AX7 production up to snuff yet (in my opinion) but give 'em another year or so and they should have it down. Until then, I'll keep scraping up more NOS Beijings. The "cleaning cloth" I send out with all the orders is saturated with Caig Labs ProGold X-Formula, a hi-temp (rated to 400 degrees C - you can put it on power tube pins) contact treatment that works wonders with "fizzy" or "crunchy" sockets. It's available in several different forms (check Caig's website for details) and I use the stuff every day in my repair shop. BTW, thanks fer the attaboy. ;-)

Lord Valve
    American

15. Lord Valve

Lord Valve

Dec 13, 2002
    Denver, CO.
    That's a rather famous pic - it's up on the alt.audio.pro.live-sound (AAPLS.com) website, with the caption "Lord Valve - ready for another flame war." ;-) I shot that pic (perhaps I should say I took it?) by putting the camera on shutter delay and then stepping back and aiming at the lens. There's no round chambered because I didn't want to accidentally blow my camera to smithereens. I had to take my glasses off for the pic, because the flash kept making me look like I had headlights mounted where my eyeballs oughta be; that accounts for the glazed look in my eyes. (I can't see squat without me spectacles - 'm gettin OLD.) At any rate, my guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's drivers license, so y'all don't need to sweat it. ;-) I don't shoot customers - they tend not to come back if you do that. ;-)

Lord Valve
    American

16. Lord Valve

Lord Valve

Dec 13, 2002
    Denver, CO.
    1) 12AX7LPSs don't draw more current than any other 12AX7s. If they did, they'd be off-spec, and you couldn't call them 12AX7s.

2) 12AX7LPSs aren't prone to vibration damage. Like most large-plate 12AX7s (including Mullards, Telefunkens, and Philips) they tend to be more microphonic than the shorter-plate tubes like Teslas and GEs. The only consideration involved in using them is that they not have high voltage on the cathodes, which lets them out for certain applications such as phase inverters. Buying them from dealers who know the equipment you will be using them in on a component level is recommended. ;-)

3) One man's "bizarre and abusive behavior" is another man's calmly reasoned logic when replying to certain folks who shall remain nameless. Sorry you got your butt kicked, son, but then - you *did* ask for it, no?

4) My sig - famous as it is - says nothing of the sort. It reads "I'm not an a__hole, but I *play* one on the Internet." Some folks like it, some don't.

5) Have a nice day.

Lord Valve
    American

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  18. Well, not quite.

Thanks for dropping in, Willie. I know a lot of people with a lot of valve questions both here and on the "other" forum.

And - great service deserves props. If I'd have gone down to GC and asked for a handful of tubes that's exactly what I'd get. I for one appreciate the personal service and will continue to send folks your way if I can.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    1) 12AX7LPSs don't draw more current than any other 12AX7s. If they did, they'd be off-spec, and you couldn't call them 12AX7s.

The complaint I've heard is that the heaters draw more current, and that when a marginal PS in small, cheap amps gets several of these in circuit, there are PS failures. This may be due to a bad batch, which is certainly not unheard of in Sovtek tubes. Th tech who made this complaint some months back claimed several instances in quick succession of PS failure in small amps simply by replacing all the 12AX7*s With 12AX7LPSs with no other work. The tubes were all from the same batch, if I remember correctly.

2) 12AX7LPSs aren't prone to vibration damage. Like most large-plate 12AX7s (including Mullards, Telefunkens, and Philips) they tend to be more microphonic than the shorter-plate tubes like Teslas and GEs.

Yes, and in high-vibration applications, such as in a high-wattage combo amp, they get (and stay) microphonic quicker, which I believe is one reason that OEM usage of the short-plate 12AX7WA turns up in combo amps as much as it does, when almost anything else would sound better for only a couple of bucks more. Longplate preamp tubes are generally unsuitable for such amps, and something like a JJ ECC83S is a better choice. I don't see any disagreement here. The Amperex and Mullard tubes I have here at the desk have longer plates than the JJ, but substantially shorter plates than the 12AX7LPS or old RCA blackplate 12AX7 tubes I'm comparing them with. That longplate tubes are - all other things being equal - more subject to damage encountered in the typically horrific abuse encountered in road amps seems to be accepted lore.

3) One man's "bizarre and abusive behavior" is another man's calmly reasoned logic when replying to certain folks who shall remain nameless. Sorry you got your butt kicked, son, but then - you *did* ask for it, no?

Ah, truly spoken like a bully fiercely brandishing an unloaded weapon! (see the positively gorgeous portrait, above!) ;) No, Willy, you are confusing me with some other of your a.g.a playmates. I have never written non-tech posts to you with the exception of a civil request to stop provoking and cultivating the excessive, obscene and off-topic political flamewars that have have so befouled alt.guitar.amps in the recent past. Any number of other serious readers of the newsgroup for its intended technical purpose have made the same reasonable request, and with no better results. I would not stoop to participating in the problem, beyond asking that it move to a more appropriate venue, an admittedly faint - but sincere - hope!

4) My sig - famous as it is - says nothing of the sort. It reads "I'm not an a__hole, but I *play* one on the Internet." Some folks like it, some don't.

While I do not read your posts aside from the technical ones with an application in which I have an interest, there are innumerable ones like this with the same merry signoff for those who wish to wade through Google.

In any case, I do not understand why this is such an essential point in your self-image. Whether you really are one or are merely pretending to be one is a distinction lost on the observer. All I am saying, Willy, with the best will in the world, is that it's not the sort of behavior civilized adults look for in those with whom they seek to do business.

Think about it.

20. like this with the same merry signoff for those who wish to wade through Google.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Y'know something, i read all of the posts on the first page of the Google search page. Now maybe Im biased cuz he gave me great products at great prices and impeccable service, but I can respect someone with a strong opinion, even if i disagree with it. Lord valve and i are 180 degrees from eachother on a lot of issues, but the fact is he's a good egg on the tube front. It is clear that you know your sh-t, too, but one point i like about LV is that he doesnt take the silly things seriously, just the tone. Thats M-notso-HO.

If you don't like my opinion, meet me at the bikeracks. 3 o'clock, sharp.