1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All Hail The Mighty Jazz!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, Feb 23, 2008.

Favorite Jazz Bass Manufacturer?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2009.
  1. Fender

205 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Squier

10 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Sadowsky

47 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Lakland

45 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. SX

9 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Other

55 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. This thread is all about the best-ever bass guitar! I'm currently saving up for an SX Jazz (16 years old+$0= bad) and GASing for a 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz (especially the Charcoal Frost Metallic)!!!! The funny thing is, I haven't even owned one!!! I just love how they play/sound/look/feel!!! Anyways, here's what I'd like to hear:

1) Your favorite Jazz bass tone (use players as an example)
    2) Your first Jazz bass you played or owned
    3) Favorite color/pickguard/neck combo
    4) Favorite PU choice
    5) Active vs. Passive
    6) Favorite strings on a Jazz
    7) Favorite Jazz manufacturer
    8) Feel free to post your Jazz pics
    9) Vent your GAS for various Jazzes
    10) Go Jazz-Crazy like me!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :D :bassist:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My advice? Play as many basses as you can and buy the best bass you can afford based on what you like.

You may think a Fender Jazz is what you want but it might end up being a Precision or even a Music Man!

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    -Juan from the Mars volta. Lakland jazz + ampeg = hawt.

-Fender MIM Jazz

sunburst with tort

4) Favorite PU choice
    uhh don't knowwww

5) Active vs. Passive
    I believe the Lakland bass that juan uses is active..

I only use DR Hi-beams

-Fender makes some good ones but Lakland has some cool ones

l_cf255585f9a4098f947c42b0e4eb4249.
    l_8f8cb6442cbf46c5934462f1ec60d567.

I don't really want a jazz, but if the Juan bass lakland is making is a jazz... i wanttttt..

10) Go Jazz-Crazy like me!!!!!!!!!
    Nah, i'm Rick crazy :]

4. I love the feel of Lakland necks. They work perfect for my hands and sound great IMO. Yeah, Sadowsky makes a very nice bass but you can't get a Sadowsky for under $2,000 usually. I'd say try out a Lakland Skyline DJ or JO. Fenders are nice to but if you want consistent quality for a decent price Lakland is a better bet. You may get lucky with a Fender.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I voted Lakland because the Skylines , IMO, are the best combination of quality and value, but a poll that comlines $100 basses with $4,000 is not really fair.:(

6. I played a fretless Jazz Squire today and found it to be a nice bass to feel and play but the pups have are dead.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Will Lee, Marcus Miller, Deon Estus, Larry Graham, Daryl Jones

- '77 Fender Jazz Bass

sunburst, tortoise, maple

4) Favorite PU choice
    Sadowsky Humbucking

5) Active vs. Passive
    Active

Sadowsky, DR

Sadowsky, Lakland, Alleva-Coppolo

8. True, very true.

I'm strictly a precision player, but I'll readily admit that a single pup configuration does have it's limitations, so a Jazz bass gets a thumbs up in my book.

9. 1) Your favorite Jazz bass tone (use players as an example)
    Tim Commerford, John Paul Jones, Matt Freeman, Jason Newstead, Robert Trujillo.

Fender MIM Deluxe with Badass Bridge II

1-All Black/Black/maple fretboard 2-White/Old Gold/maple 3-Candy Apple Red/Tort/rosewood fretboard

4) Favorite PU choice
    Dimarzio Model Js, also my ideal bass is a Jazz body with P/J pickups and a P neck!

5) Active vs. Passive
    Tough Call right now passive but if I could have an active/passive option on my Geddy that would be great!

La'Bella Hard Rockin' Steels

Fender Japanese or American. I've never tried a Sadowsky or Lakland.

10. 1) Your favorite Jazz bass tone (use players as an example)
    John Paul Jones, Jaco, and Tim Commerford (RATM)

Fender MIA Jazz

Black/black/maple or Sunburst/tort/rosewood

4) Favorite PU choice
    JJ

5) Active vs. Passive
    Active on 5s Passive on 4s

DR black beauties PILLOWY TONE!!

Fender (the new american standard and aerodyne) and Modulus

I have a Modulus Flea J5 and would love one of the new fender Jazz American standards BAD!

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    1) Rosewood/Alder with new roundwounds - Will Lee, Darryl Jones. also Jaco, Marcus Miller, Jerry Jemmott, Larry Graham etc...

2) Can't remember the first one i played - the first one i owned was an original '75 ash/maple

3) I love burgandy mist metalic, matching headstock, aged white guard and rosewood, but i also love a really good nitro 3 tone sunburst

4) Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs or the ones that come on the Fender Custom Shop '64s

5) Passive, but i like outboard pres like the Sadowsky

6) I like using new D'Addario XL165 rounds

7) Fender Custom Shop and for an updated 'jazz on steroids' Sadowsky

I keep buying and selling jazzes, can't help myself... i just bought a '77 and while i love marcus millers tone, i'm finding it hard to dig it for my playing and my gigs... i really want the ultimate passive rosewood/alder jazz... It just works for me...

12. Ditto on everything, especially the Sadowsky strings. Except for the color pickguard neck combo, I'm a white w/ pearloid pickguard guy.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My favourite jazz bass?

Probably the Status Graphite T bass. Either that or Sadowsky.

[​IMG]

14. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Fantastic bass. I've heard one up close (through a BEHRINGER COMBO!) but never played it... :(

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Whats that, one of the new T-Basses or one of the old Trace Elliot models?

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    At the moment, I'm really digging fingersmoran's tone on this:

A Tokai fretless.

I really like nice dyed bursts, or white with a black p/g.

4) Favorite PU choice
    Nordstrands are just about the best I've tried personally.

5) Active vs. Passive
    Bread or potatoes?

Rotosound Swing Bass.

Ive seen nice Jazz type basses from too many sources to single one out. Props to Fender are due, of course.

Okay -
    [​IMG]

I own four, that's enough for me at the moment.

17. Richard89

Richard89

May 7, 2007
    Sweden
    If it isn't a Fender, it isn't a Jazz Bass:D

18. Click to see full-size images...

full.

body_top.

19. As a 5 string player the neck profile and length mean you must buy from the boys in Chicago. Dan Lakin has nailed a comfortable neck profile. Not being a pro player, I settled for a Skyline, imported parts, final assembly in Chicago.

1st jazz was a 73 Fender. Maple with blocks and binding. Trouble is, it didn't sound or play well, to my ears at age 17:! :eek:

Best jazz? Havent tried them all, but have owned a Valenti custom, which blows a Fender away, imho, and ordered a new Lakland Joe Obsorn 5. Neck profile fits me best.

Pickups. I beleive the purest, most natural sounding, with greatest frequency response are Aeros, which is likely why folks like Fodera use them. Where I notice it is when I pluck anything high on teh G string. Lesser pickups will "squawK" it, due to their constrained hi- frequncy response, whereas Aeros will let it sing like it should. Sublte to some, evident to me.

I ususally perfer colored basses to natural wood, but a gotta deal on a Lakland whose wood wasnt beautiful under a natural high gloss. Black body with maple fretboards is usually my simple preference.

I realize you're only 16 and $$ is non existant. Assume you have already committed your body and soul to bass playing, so this is beyond the "checking it out" phase. Although tat wouldn't matter as I migth recommend you keep your eyes on the For Sale pages here for a deal on a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn or Darryl Jones. The DJ is more blingy', you might prefer its looks. If you get a good deal here, then there will be no "depreciation" like a new bass would have. Even an SX will lose $50-75 on resale, whereas the Lakland you might get exactly what you put into it, and can get right on with improving your mechanics and theory and not owwrying about your instrument.

So if your mom and dad are helping fund this purchase, please do illustrate to them that there is much less financial risk in purchasing a good used jazz bass from the TB for sale pages here, than a new one. Yes, you might not have all th color choices available to you, but you'll likely find a bass that will need no upgrading of pickup, bridge etc, which the SX will eventually. IMHO, a better place to buy a sight unseen bass than EvilBay. Alot of these guys have chronic gas, and I've been able to benefit!

Dont know if I prefer the "stage presence" of this "color but, here's one..
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405055

Guess the ones I think are the best for the dough are around $1000, likely more than even you could lobby your parents for, but here's a greate xample... adn you dont need a premap, with two volume controls, one tone and your fiogners, you can get anything out of a Jazz bass, imho. Not opiniikn actaully, I can prove it so... anyway, heres one that would look MINT on stage or at Church..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407136

Keep your eyes open. Some good MIM pop up with upgraded electronics = deal! $550 Geddy Lee jazz a month or so ago, now that would have been right up your alley.

20. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    My favorite jazz used to be a Fender MIA Active Deluxe because of the geat tone and feel. However, over the past few years I cought the Sadowsky bug! In fact I just picked up a UV 70 5 string with VTC and it absolutely tops Fender IMO. The tone is so vibrant and rich, the neck has a nice low profile radius which I prefer and it only weighs 9 lbs. So sadowsky gets the jazz bass crown as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=83033&stc=1&d=1203864379