Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All hail the mighty MikeD, Joris and BGavin!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You guys rock!!

I was playing with my 2x15... and I have always thought that it sounded very natural, but for some reason not as loud as I thought it would be...

Now after listening to the three amigos listed above I finally hailed their advice they have been giving since the dawn of time. It only took me 3 months or so to listen, I must be getting smarter.

I took a battery and use it to power my speakers and sure enough... they were out of phase.... I did this because I felt worried that if I am selling it... I want it to be set up correctly. Well, anyways... I corrected the wiring and put my R600 on there and it kicked my chest out! :eek: Thanks alot guys.... ;)

2. Thanks for the compliment, but this is soooo embarrassing. I'm just another bass player who also has a little extra knowledge about a small section of our craft and willing to share it with others. I just want to contribute a little, and learn a lot, and do not want to become some sort of resident expert. Yuck.

As for the phasing, it makes all the difference in the world because your low bass was cancelled out almost entirely. This is one of those things where simply reversing a wire gives a tremendous (and free!) payback.

3. Gabu, please don't take this the wrong way but even when I know your picture is coming up under your name it still scares the hell out of me!!
    After the shock wears off I can't help but laugh so please don't ever change your picture.:D
    Nothing like having your speakers thumping in phase!!

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Caption contest!...

"Somebody get this mouse-trap off my...big toe"
    "There's power to THIS light socket"
    (to girlfriend/spouse) "You're WHAT?!?"

5. Hospital Nurse: "Mr. Gabu, you were NOT supposed to have Thanksgiving Dinner right after hemorrhoid surgery."

-----

:D

The picture is priceless!!! Too funny

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Gabu - love the picture. That's my kind of pic. When people took pictures at family gatherings, I'd always make it a point to foul up the picture like that. I have some doozies around - similar to your avatar. Maybe I should use one of them for my own avatar!

I'm glad you were able to make progress on your rig, and that you found someone's advice useful.

Anyway - I think Joris, bgavin, and I are all of modest ego, so the title of your post is simply too much! That said, I do appreciate feedback - it's nice to know that I've helped in some way. People who know me personally know that I have a hard time accepting compliments as such. My satisfaction comes from helping people learn and understand things, play better, and sound good. Thanks for the feedback!

- Mike

7. I wholeheartedly agree.

But I'm glad you're gettin' some kickin' bass outta yer 215.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Gabu-I liked your old picture much better!!! And how do you do the battery test to check your speakers? (9v)?

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    With my smaller speakers... like 90w or so, I use a 1.5v C or D cell... But for my 600w speakers I used a 9v.

You just need to connect the two speakers, then take the wires and touch them to a battery a couple of times to confirm that the speakers either pull in or push out at the same time.

If they do, their output will help each other... if they go the opposite ways then the sound waves will kind of reduce the quality or volume of your sound.