Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All hail to Rinus Gerritsen of the Golden Earring

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay most of you know the Dutch Hardrock band The Golden Earring from their two classic hits "Radar Love" and "Twilight zone" But the Earring also is the longest surviving Dutch Rock band ever, founded in 1965 and getting the current line up in 1968 the band is still going strong.
    [​IMG]
    The Golden Earring in 1968, from left to right: Rinus Gerritsen (bass), Barry Hay (Lead Vocals, guitar), George Kooijmans (Lead guitar, Lead vocals), Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums)
    [​IMG]
    The Golden Earring in 2005, From left to right: Cesar Zuiderwijk, Barry Hay, George Kooijmans and Rinus Gerritsen.

During the late sixties and early seventies, The Earring toured with The Who, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, Kiss and Ted Nugent proving themselves equals to those guys.

At the four string fortress from the day the band was founded, is a guy who's hugely underrated but on one par with Jack Bruce and John Entwistle; Rinus Gerritsen

I just bought myself a DVD of the Golden Earring at RockPallast 1982 and I was thrown out of my seat by Rinus Gerritsen's agressive tone and and way of playing.

For a HUGE part of the show he plays his custom double neck bass with a Fender P-bass neck at the upper position and a Danelectro short scale neck below.
    [​IMG]

But then there's a song called "Future" in which he whips out his mid sixties home built fretless and proves that he's no slough on fretless either. He's no jaco, his playing isn't as slick. And he plays with a pick very close to the bridge.

I find it a shame that he's never mentioned while he's such a great in Bass playing.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice bass...

3. Steve Harris is a fan-
    in a The Guitar Magazine interview in 1992 he said the only bass solos he'd liked were by Billy Sheehan, Rinus Gerritsen and Helmut Hattler.

4. KICK for my personal hero!

IMHO best supportive player ever. Golden Earring has one kick ass bass/drums section that really delivers a huge sound at live gigs.

Also check out his awesome gear at http://www.rinus.golden-earring.nl/