All I want is my CIJ Fender P-bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderStripes, Mar 10, 2006.

1. FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    I've been trying to get a hold of a retailer in the states that will take special orders, for over two weeks now. Why not just find a Japanese online retailer? Because why go through the trouble of having it shipped from Japan, when you can just have the store ship it for you, and all you'd have to do is pick it up. What I'm looking for specifically is a CIJ Fender P-bass. I've called MusiciansFriend and as of now, I'm exchanging e-mails back and forth with the company because apparently, they don't know what the hell they're doing. There has been maybe....6-7 e-mails exchanged so far, and almost every time, they say something about 'looking into it'. I've been talking to Guitar Center associates for just as long, and the problem with that is, each time, I end up talking to a different associate. And every time I call, I get a different answer. The first guy said that I would be able to place a special order over the phone, via credit card. Thank goodness! Right? So I call in the next day, credit card in hand, all of that personal information, yada yada yada, and explain to the guy my situation. He goes, "I'm sorry man, I don't know who told you that, but we don't take special orders, as far as I know..." and I said "...I swear, I JUST spoke to one of your employees the day before and he said that it would be possible."

All I want is my CIJ Fender bass...! Bah, I'm so frustrated. I just got off the phone with yet, another GC associate and he said that he'll look into it for me. Let's just hope this is a winning ticket.

I just had to vent. Any words of advice? Encouragement?
  2. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Why would a retail store in the US want to pay the $120 shipping charge for you. That would pretty much eat all and then some of their profit. Especially on an order with an over seas retailer that they don't even do regular bussiness with or even have an account with ?
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    No but you can order from them yourself. Otherwise the retail store will charge you the shipping anyway.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Just buy one online. Unless they have them in stock, it's going to cost more to have them ship it in for you.
  5. Ordering on line with Ishibashi or GuitatJapan is not trouble at all. I would be concerned about set up though. MY ishibashi Fender P bass came needing a set up. Most of they guys here say their basses come set up already.
  6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I would forget about any store ordering it on your behalf. Most music stores get the bulk of their guitars from a distributor (s) who is/are already in the U.S. That way they don't have to chase down orders from overseas, deal with damaged goods etc. Check ebay, there are always japanese P's for sale.
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    There's someone on eBay who sells new CIJ P-basses fairly regularly, and I've been tempted by a few. The BIN prices are around $700 IIRC. Just prowl around the 'bay for awhile and you'll see them.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Just order one from Ishibashi, go for the higher end model that comes with an Alder body and USA pickups. At the current exchange rate, the price will be about $473 plus $120 for shipping (totaling less than $600), and it will arrive on your doorstep less than a week after ordering. Mine (bought from Ishibashi back in 11/2002) is possibly the best P I've ever played. In all this time you've spent looking for someone else to order it, you could already be playing yours.
  9. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    i am interested in ordering a jazz from ishibashi. Were you charged any import duty by the US customs on top of the shipping ishibashi charges?
  10. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I do believe there may have been some kind of conversion fee charged by the credit card company for converting the money from US Dollars into Japanese Yen, but it was only a few dollars IIRC.
  11. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Fender Japan probably isn't licensed to distribute in the US to retailers. Basicaly, if you can't find a certain Japanese model on the Fender Web site you won't find it or be able to get it from a US store. No amount of e-mailing palces like MF will get you your bass. If you do find some one in the US willing to get you a Fender Japan bass, then they're probably just going to order it from one of the sites listed in this thread and mark it up between 20% to 50%. Just order it direct from Japan and save your self the trouble.

Any one know what Fender Japans relationship is with Fender US? I'm pretty sure its not just the Japanese branch. A franchise maybe?

~Paul :)
  12. I imagine some models are made for the domestic (Japanese) market and others are made for export (like the Geddy Lee). You can find used CIJ/MIJ P-Basses on e-Bay everyday.