Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Important Sound

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Aug 4, 2004.

1. I have been workin on a bass of mine, getting it repaired, set up, playable and so on. It is pretty much "done", some little things hear and there but for the most part complete and am playing it. I am having some problems with the sound though. The E,A,G, strings sound great really amazing but with I get to the D string it doesn't sound very good. The other strings have a nice deep boom and the D string has a kind of high TWANG sound to it. I'm playing Spirocore Starks. I have a pickup on there, the David Gage Realist, and it doesn't sound like its picking up the D that well either but the other strings great. I am open for all suggestions that could deepin the sound of that D string cus it plays fine but its just the all important sound. Thanks for the :help:

2. You might have a bum string....i've had it happen a couple times over the years with the orchestras. If everything else checks out......Try putting on another D. It obviously would be best if you had another of the same kind...maybe a friend might have an orchestra Thomastik you could try.
    How do the other D's on the other strings sound? Especially the same octave on the A & E?, but even the octave on the G. If all else fails, call Thomastik and see if they'll send another..i've heard they're pretty cool to deal with.
    That twang can sometimes be cut down by GENTLY stretching the string, pulling out toward yourself. Also check the nut...that the groove is nice and smooth at the top and bottom where the string crosses over. Same with the bridge.

3. Thanks a bunch for your help Paul! The octaves of the D or the same octaves sound fine. Not like the open D string thank god lol. I will for sure look into all of those suggestions. I'll let ya know if it works out. :smug:

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Methinks yer soundpost is outta whack--prolly too far away from the bridge...

5. But would it just effect one string cus the other strings sound fine? Wouldn't all of um sound like caca?

6. The soundpost is a mysterious thing. Best not to make it angry...

7. lol Yea a bass has a mind of its own. The bass plays you not you playin the bass. Somethin I probly should of mentioned is that when I play on the upper registers of the D sting it sounds better like the sound get a little bigger and deeper. I don't know if that opens some minds and doors for help but who knows.

8. Well I changed out the D string and that cured the problem! Bass sounds great and plays great! Now I guess I'll have to buy the one string lol. Its kind of weird that only one string would go like that and not the others. Thanks you guys for the help!