1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All-in-one gigging pedal (I ain't askin' for MUCH...)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikewalker, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I tried some searches but haven't landed on quite what I am looking for.

Can anyone suggest ONE pedal that combines these two features:

1) a very good and highly visible TUNER
    2) a very good compressor

Can be battery powered, but I don't mind giving it AC power.
    Caveat: MUST BE VERY LOW NOISE (not adding any perceptible hiss or hum)

I don't ask much from compressors, really - the one-knob type found on a lot of amps is fine (I only ever use "just a touch" of maybe 2:1 or 3:1 soft knee). I like to run compressor 'always-on', generally... but the new amp I have my eyes on doesn't have an onboard compressor!!

I don't need any EQ or anything else, but no harm if the pedal has tone controls I can leave flat.

StrangerBasses likes this.
  2. Gallien Krueger Plex? Zoom B3n?

3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Line 6 HX Stomp

4. Didn't Ernie Ball come out with a new tuner compressor at the latest NAMM?

5. GK Plex would fill that requirement quite well.

6. My bad...its a tuner in a volume pedal...shouldnt have ate those brownies

Microbass, Saorex, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  7. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Trace Elliot Transit B
    Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig or dUg Pinnick Signature
    EBS MicroBass 3
    GK Plex

There are tons of multi-effects for guitar and bass across all price points that have compression and tuning, popular ones being Line 6 (HX Stomp, good but pricey for just 2 features), Zoom (B3n is bass-specific, but the G3n and other various stomp-style pedals would work, and are relatively inexpensive), Boss GT-1(B), etc.

A compressor/tuner combo pedal is an unusual pairing, so chances are you'll have to get more pedal and features than you'll need...or...you could just get an the individual pedals, which is less convenient. You can get there spending $50, $300, $600, or upwards.

What context are we talking here for gigging? Serious/pro-level, semi-pro gigging, weekend punting? Any recording thrown in? FWIW I've gigged the HX Stomp and Zoom B3n (and other Zoom products) doing semi-pro and weekend warrior gigs, and for quite some time. If you'd prefer not to do the bells-and-whistles digital multi-effects, the pedals being talked about here can all serve you well. If you can, try before buy.

8. Serious question. Why do you need them in one pedal? In my opinion it looks like you are searching for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

amper, gtlover, Chrisk-K and 6 others like this.
  9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Zoom ms60b

10. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Second the Zoom MS60B.
    Several compressors to choose from & the tuner is solid.Everything else is in there too.
    You can do a Zoom B1on for about $40 cheaper.

11. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Hard to beat the Zoom MS60B for functionality in a small package.

Re: noise, a valuable consideration is power source. A basic Dunlop "Boss-style" adapter may be worth having as a backup, but having gone thru five of them before switching to OneSpot in order to get my Darkglass Vintage to play silently, I can 1st-hand attest that their quality control isn't very gig reliable. Obvs some pedals need that attention more than others but it's worth the investment.

Infidelity and mikewalker like this.
  12. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Sans amp bass fly rig is perfect for you.

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I like a cheap SaturnWorks line splitter going to a compressor and a tuner pedal so the tuner stays always on and out of the signal chain.

Tommy V likes this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a Zoom MS60B in-bound just for those reasons: tuner & compressor...plus some other stuff...in a compact package. I'm getting lazy in my old age and need something to throw in front of my rehearsal rig. As I understand things, some options are more than passable...others not so much.

Riis

15. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Zoom B3.

Swiss Army knife for bass.

Wall wart power, or usb, or double A batteries.

You also get a di, drum machine, a good looper, tons of fx and amp models. Usb interface.

16. Most compressors, if not all, will add a bit of noise. More obvious if you use a lot of make up gain.

17. combine the pedals you really like into a single box.. if you're handy with metal working tools and a soldering iron, or know someone who is, it's not all that complicated.

18. upload_2019-4-14_13-9-14.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Or just dual-lok them to a Pedaltrain Nano

20. well, sure.. but that's not what the OP is looking for