1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All is right with my world...Wal bass content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brett7276, Apr 15, 2010.

1. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So today I scored a Wal MK II for $3500 bucks and a 6 hour drive...but I am home now...and thrilled beyond belief... I have continous GAS and buy and sell...but I can honestly say I haven't ever had a bass this nice, that fit my needs so well and I haven't been as excited to get a bass since I was a 12 year old kid buying the then neon pink refin 72 jazz at the pawn ship for a wopping $125 of money earned mowing lawns. 22 years later I got to feel just like that excited kid again...I hope the TB community will forgive my post and brag, but I wanted to share with someone who might actually care and know what a Wal bass is...my wife while wonderful about said...its black and it doesn't look like furnature like your other expensive ones so what makes this one so special? :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's a Wal, and it's yours.
    That is sufficient.
    Enjoy, brother!

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Wow, $3500 for a Wal is a pretty good price, I think! Wish I had that kind of luck!

4. tb420

tb420

Sep 23, 2008
    PLEASE tell me you don't play it through that Crate rig.....

5. What WOULD be a good amp for such a quality player?

6. Good for you brett7276! Rock on!

7. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    no crate...that was his amp...mine is a Mesa 400+...

Does anybody have a quick explanation of the controls on this bass...obviously there is the high/low end filter but not quite sure on the pull pots and what does what yet...not that I couldn't figure it out..but so previous "wal wisdom" would of course be helpful.

8. Highfox

Highfox

Mar 10, 2010
    Finland
    Awesome looking machine, congrats.
    Many moons ago I had a Wal pro 1 (allbeit one of the passive models), that had a second aftermarket pickup put on it, don't see too many of them around nowadays. Wish I'd hung onto some of my old basses :(

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Great score !! My sincere congratulations.
    I hope to own one someday and follow your steps (that price won´t be bad either :)

You can check some info about their electronics in their website:

http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Electronics

Good luck

10. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Congrats on a great bass!

I was going to say something about that strap but... in a way... all that black and silver dots actually makes it match!

11. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    strap ins't mine those were the sellers pics I'll post some more this PM...but I actually kind of dig the strap...but I am a left over from the 80s' hair metal thing...sadly I now have a bald spot and probaly will die of cancer from excessive exposure to aquanet...

12. Regarding the tone controls: I'd recommend start with them all the way up (10) at first, using the pan pot to alter your tone, get a feel for that sound then gradually, start decreasing your bridge pick up volume a little at time, again, getting used to those roll offs, as you know, much different than standard bass, mid, treble knobs.

Though I play a fretless Mach II, my favorite setting lately, has been pan knob one increment toward rear pick up, both tone controls set to 5 or 6, knobs NOT pulled up, though on your fretted, that may aid you in getting some nice bottom end, so on second thought, pull up on your neck pickup knob, and take some heads off!

Have fun, great, great, GREAT basses!

13. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    You realize that I hate you now....:(

It's a Wal...it's black....it's a 4 string...it's mint...and you ONLY paid $3500!!!!!

I would have rode my bike that whole distance and back to score that baby.

The good news: I have ridden my bike thousands of miles for years
    Bad news: I'll never have that kind of $$ for a bass...:bawl:

14. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I hate you too ;) very nice and a reasonable price.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Great score, and awesome price.

Start with the knobs on 10. This isn't a traditional boost system like most active basses...quite the opposite actually. It's full tone is knobs left clicked down and set at 10, and like a passive bass when you turn the tone knobs down it simply rolls off the highs for each pickup but the lowend remains the same.
    Now pulling up on the tone knobs give you the shift sweep and where the more extreme sounds and wah sound too when rolling the knob up and down like you would a pedal. Experiment each pickup knob and you'll see...set it on neck pickup with tone knob pulled up and set on zero for the sub-dubbiest boom you'd ever heard.
    The volume knob pulled up is called the 'pick attack' and has an adjustable trim pot in the control cavity, supposed to be an edgier attack (I guess to make a finger player sound more like he/she is using a pick).

Enjoy that beautiful beast!
    -Mike

16. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A few more pics now that its home and I was able to get some decent shots

Attached Files:

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All that black and silver- Rob Halford would be proud! :D

Nice score- there aren't many Wals with matching headstocks, and they look much better IMO.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Great score, you have every right to brag. Plus, we get to see pics. Congrats!

19. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    GREAT purchase! Congrats :)

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I find it strange that people talk about things being more expensive in the UK than US - yet I saw many Wals in the late 90s in London shops , like this, going for about £600-800...:confused: