Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Les Claypool Threads (merged)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chi42069, Oct 23, 2001.

1. All around amazing player.

147 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. I think he's talented, but he's not my cup of tea.

23 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. He sucks! He's such a showoff.

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. He's pretty good, but I get tired of him quickly.

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Who?

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    what do u all think about les claypool??????????????????????????????????????????????

peace

chi

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to be a huge Primus fan, I first heard about them in 1990.
    But I liked the band concept (and Herb's aka Tim Alexander's drumming) much better than Les' playing (quite sloppy at times) and sound.
    I saw them live three times, as a headliner and opening for Rush (YEAH!!!).
    But since Herb left, I haven't paid much attention. I saw a gig with Brain on TV, and I thought he sucked.
    But that's just me. YMMV.

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Les used to suck in tremendous ways. He was very creative with his playing, but he really didn't have any kind of chops to execute it. Recently, I heard some live bootleg recording of one of Primus' shows and Les has improved tremendously as a player. He _owned_ the lines that he was playing and generally played a lot of really tasty stuff. He's like a young Stanley Clarke right now, just with a very twisted concept of writing music.

4. Not to start an argument, but can you play the stuff that Brain can play? Maybe you can, but until I am given proof, I will think that you can't. I firmly believe that Brain doesn't suck. He sounds very proficient at his chosen instrument.

This thing also applies to bassists. People here say Fieldy sux and criticise people technique. I bet most of it comes from people who can hardly play and are just jealous. But then I would be assuming things and that would make me just as bad as people who do what I am complaining about.

Who knows? Maybe Fieldy has some real wicked chops and is a excellent bassist, he just doesn't show his other skills. I don't particularly like Korn, but I don't know Fieldys or his level of skill, so who am I to judge?

I happen to think Les is an excellent player! All I know is he can slap better than me. I get the feeling that many peopl here try to sound all technical and know-it-all when dissecting technique. I am the first to admit that I don't know jacksh*t about some of the things discussed here.I know some of you are quite knowledgable but to the rest of you......GIVE IT A REST!

Also, this isn't directly aimed at you, JMX. Sorry if it sounds that way.

5. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    i didn't really like primus at first, but after seeing this live video of them playing. I was amazed. I actually like brain as a drummer. i like his style more than herbs. Ler is a great guitar player too. Although i don't really know too much about bassists, i think les is awesome. He stands out from other bassists. He makes the bass seem more like a lead instrument than the guitar. but then again, i don' t know too much about bass players. Im a guitar player. but soon i will be a bass player too.

peace out

chi

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Les' ability to play his basslines with even attack and high accuracy while singing is really amazing. I have the videoplasty video and when he does Tommy the Cat, he plays that fast part perfectly and never looks down once. I give props to bassists who can sing while playing because that seems like a really hard thing to do ;)

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This being real subjective like, I'll say, I like Les Claypool's stuff a lot. I love Primus, though both drummers are technically very skilled I enjoyed Herb more.

8. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I think Les is amazing. I say this after seeing Primus live 5 or 6 times.. He is incredible to watch. I think his style of play is somewhat sloppy at times, he somehow seems to make it work for him. His work with Sausage was a lot cleaner, though still very Primus-ish.. I think he may be one of the current innovators of Bass.. thats just my opinion though..

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Primus always struck me as a comedy act--Belew-era King Crimson meets "Monty Python"--so the somewhat sloppy quality of Les' playing doesn't really detract from the music or the humor. I used to cringe at Les' attempts to play fretless; so must a lot of people, because he seems to have given it up. bRaIN RuleZ!

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, he kept loosing time at the concert I saw, so that sucks IMO, at least in comparison to Tim Alexander, who is a world-class drummer. But of course I have only once concert to judge from...

Just remember how the primus website is called...

11. I like les...primus has a diff sound than alot of other bands...

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Personally, I can't really ever say that I liked Primus, or Les Claypool's playing for that matter. He's a phenomenal player with massive chops, I just can't get into it.

And, not to start an argument (;) ), but I don't see what me being able to play his parts has anything to do with whether or not I like him. If I don't like the way someone plays, it's not because I sat frustrated in my room with a stack of tAbZ and a Primus CD, it's because I just don't like him. If we all didn't like what we couldn't play, everyone (at least a great deal of people) would hate Jaco!

This isn't directly in response to the previous posters in this thread; I've seen this response a few times in various discussions.

And let's not get started on Fieldy. :D

13. i like primus, there different and les could maybe be not as sloppy sometimes but some of his OWN techniques are amazing, for example the technique on laquerhead is very cool and kinda tricky and if you hear claypool playin u know its him! he has his own sound and style and hes very very good!:eek:

14. i like the stuff he did with primus (except for some of the things he did with a frettless) but i really like the stuff he's doing now with frog brigade and oysterhead.

15. If that was true id hate so many people :D

16. That isn't the point I was trying to make

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    This thing also applies to bassists. People here say Fieldy sux and criticise people technique. I bet most of it comes from people who can hardly play and are just jealous. But then I would be assuming things and that would make me just as bad as people who do what I am complaining about.

Who knows? Maybe Fieldy has some real wicked chops and is a excellent bassist, he just doesn't show his other skills. I don't particularly like Korn, but I don't know Fieldys or his level of skill, so who am I to judge?

Hehe! Ok i will say i think about 5% of this place can play as well as les or any good bass players but i think about 85% can play fieldy! But please lets not start a fieldy thread! And iam trying to start a fight i just thought that was funny!

Les to me is kinda a love hate thing! I love some of his musical ideas but the singing makes me feel like somone is pulling my spinal chord from my back! I was so excited when oysterhead came out because i heard the guy from phish was jamming with him! So i hoped that he would sing more! But nope there is les!

18. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    les is amazing. i love the way he sings, talks, walks, plays, goofs around. he is just a fun guy. i live in IL and was actually really considering flying out to CA this new years to go to his 10th annual new years jam. i am also drawing this 3 piece inspiration series for my drawing 292 class. i have les, sly stone, and zach de la rocha for my three people. but yeah, he can play every style of music with as much accuracy as he wants. check out some of primus' cover cd's. silly putty? he rocked that song. metallica, rush, dub, surf, anything you can think of he can put a really tasty groove to it.. so yeah, les is def. my favt. musician. anyways, later

19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I really dig the stuff he is doing now. He puts a very interesting twist on the whole jam-band thing.
    It's good to see a jammy band that is not a carbon copy of anything. (SCI);) His playing has improved
    considerably since he got into this stuff too. I'm going to see Oysterhead next month in NC-Psyced!

20. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I think Les is an awesome bass player. Man I read he makes up his stuff just by watching tv, what a nut! And then his sloppyness, I think that what makes his playing so rad. His stuff is retro gnar, like the main riff on "Golden Boy" that riff makes me crack up, and mad cause I cant play it right.