All MAPLE wood basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Dec 12, 2004.

All Maple basses... What do you think?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2004.
  1. I'ts OK, I like it!

44 vote(s)
  2. Too much syrup.

26 vote(s)
  1. That is georgeous... I will say that!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the way all maple bodied basses sound and feel... they look nice too.
  3. my wishbass (apart from purpleheart stringers in the neck and a purpleheart fretboard) is all maple :)

#350 is Schweeet Schounding! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: and she plays nice, too
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    My Ped Rapture is 100% maple, although, 3 variants, and it sounds really great. I do like that bass tho. It'd look killer (IMO) with blue fingerboard LED's
  5. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my Grabber is all maple. Gonna try flats on her before I give a total review on it
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My Hohner B2ADB is all maple and I like the tone, but it doesn't have much body.....
  7. that actually looks alot better than most of his other creations
  8. Thanks. Up close, she's still very "wishy" (brushed lacquer, YUK!), but I'm working on it.
  9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    My Ibanez Sr505 is all maple, and I have yet to find a fiver I like the sound of better.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Both my Steinberger XMs have maple bodies, but graphite necks. You can really see the beautiful grain of the maple in this pic:

11. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings

75% of the basses I've built are a western/eastern combination of maples.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My first Brubaker is all Maple. It's the Blue green one in the middle. Killer bass.

13. That is SUPER wide string spacing, it looks like it should be a 7 string!
  14. WOW!!! That's like a AAAAA quilt going on those puppies.

By the way, I've recently discovered that all basses look the same on my stereo.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hey, what's your input on those Q-Tuner pickups? If you don't want to clutter up the thread, feel free to PM it to me...I'm just intensely curious, and it'd be great to hear what a builder has to say on these things.

Personally, I like a lot of contrast in a bass. I love the abalone dots on the board. I'd probably have gone with the same pickup covers but with a highly spalted top rather than just ol' flame.
  16. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    rics are all maple, minus the fretboard. so i'll say, all tyhe way!
  17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A timely thread...

For you guys with 5-string & 6-string all-maple basses, how's the weight factor? Bearable? Not bad?

To date, the only (virtually) all-maple instruments I've owned are Rickenbackers, though I'm planning to buy an all-maple Carvin LB75 - with a high "C" string - as a specialty instrument to compose some experimental solo material, using a lot of chords & effects processing - so I'll really need the clarity & cut that maple can deliver. Probably a wide, well-padded comfort strap would be in order, eh? :meh:

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    geeze your right :eyebrow: