All members (lurkers included) are required to vote here. Please read:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. To make money.

55 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Other reasons.

1,426 vote(s)
    96.3%
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    What is the main reason that you make music?

To make money?

Some other reason?

If not to make money, what's your other reason. Lurkers need not respond. Only vote. :) :) :)

If unsure then consider this before answering: If you knew you wouldn't make money playing or creating music, would you still do it?

Inspired by the thread What is the purpose of music?

PS. Nothing is required of anyone here on Talkbass. I just made that part up. Xcept ya can't curse and stuff.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    both.

edit: "If you knew you wouldn't make money playing or creating music, would you still do it?" yes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Bigbri, zontar, bobyoung53 and 15 others like this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Because I enjoy it.

Mind you, making some money would be nice...

Bigbri, bobyoung53, Kozmyk and 20 others like this.
  4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    there's nothing like being in the pocket and holding a groove with like minded individuals. When everyone is in sync it feels amazing.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I wish I could've picked both.

I make my own solo material because I greatly enjoy it and it pushes me. Solo bass is a "niche within a niche" and I'm good with that.

I play in bands and other things TO MAKE MONEY. Grabbing a theatre production run that's an easy drive to/from the gig, gets out early and has a guarantee per service fee? Yeah, sign me up.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Funny you can only pick one....

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I edited the OP since this keeps coming up.

8. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    It is my profession and my passion. I am a lucky (and hard working) bassman.

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Voted: Other.
    I write/make music to satisfy an innate primal need that is deep inside. I play in bar bands to make extra money.

10. I play bass because I have no friends and it's all I have.

11. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I voted money.

crossthestyx and Billy C. like this.
  12. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Because it's fun. I'd have to gig weekly for the rest of my life to make back the money I've spent on gear, so if I was in it to make money, bad decision. But I don't regret any of it. Because it's fun.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I thought about it a sec and went with other reasons. These days that is true. I will play a benefit or fund raiser for free on occasion. And I don't have to get $200+ to play anymore. The hang with other musicians is more important than anything to me these days.

That being said, other than a benefit, I don't give away my skills. I won'y play a show where a band of four gets paid $100. I won't drive 2 hours for $100 per man. If I play a private/corporate event, I expect more pay than a bar gig. I don't "need" the money at all. It's the principle of the thing.

The music business is a business. And I expect everyone to act as such. But I do it for fun as much as anything these days.

Ron Mason, J_Bass, Muddbunni and 12 others like this.
  14. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I play for fun. In my experience, playing music in a band is just about the most fun you can have making music.

When you consider all the money I've spent on basses, amps, other gear, lessons, and drink and food at gigs, I will never make a dime from playing music. And I could not care less.

Sumaru, RenoDave, steve66 and 10 others like this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I used to love photography until it became my profession. I work in IT now and haven't picked up a camera in years.

grrg63, wmmj, +6dB Dan and 4 others like this.
  16. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I do it for the ''hot babes'' sorry I didn't know how else to word it but I need all the help I can get.

17. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I picked other reasons. Sure, the money is nice, but the real reason I play music is because it's therapeutic. It allows me to express my emotions and keeps me mentally stable. Lots of things have come and gone in my life, but in the past 30 years, music has been a consistent outlet for me.

18. Trick question. I play at home, do recording tracks, etc, because I love it. I play in a crappy bar band, deal with stupid drunks, and stay out way too late because it's a part-time job.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'm only here for the pie. Mmm...pie!

20. I find it to be a great way of self expression (even if no one listens these days!). Got a home (laptop-based) recording system, one or two good mikes, and a decent (to me) USB interface/preamp. I am entertaining getting a band together again, if only to do the "weeknight-we-gotta-work-the -next-day-jam-out" thing.
    From what I've seen, clubs have just become "pimps" for bands (and some club bands as a result have had to become "musical whores"- "play what the club wants or you suck!"). Spoon-feeding the masses with So-called Classic Radio hasn't helped new and original bands one bit either...

Tried the "money making bit" quite some years ago at the nearly professional level; into it quite enough that the band I was in at the time (early 90's) was on the edge of getting into a record contract with a (now, not so big) record company.

Of course, between me and the guitarist, we saw through a lot of the so-called perks, corporate BS and "creative accounting" practices. My loathing of most music industry types is almost at a "Steve Albini-level" (Google Alibini's essay on the music industry).

So, I mainly write/play these days to fulfill my own personal interests, keep my chops fresh, and hone my recording skills.

YMMV!

Speedhitter, RenoDave, GregC and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021