Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All members of Floyd on tour this year

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That's right folks, all the members of 'Pink Floyd' will be on tour this year. Wright is going out with Gilmour (what a snoozer) and Mason is joining Waters (that's where it's at). It appears that the man with the chip on his shoulder will not be outdone...

On the heels of David Gilmour's spring solo outing, Roger Waters has announced that he will also perform this year. Waters will reinterpret Pink Floyd's famed Dark Side of the Moon in France this summer; full details are set be announced on February 28. Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason will join Waters for the performance, marking the first time the former bandmates have collaborated with each other since last July's Live 8. Earlier this year, Gilmour announced that Pink Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright would join his solo band this spring. While all four members of Pink Floyd will collaborate this spring, both Gilmour and Waters have publicly stated that Pink Floyd will not reunite anytime in the near future.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Pink Floyd lost their edge when Syd departed.

But I guess this is good news for those PF fans who liked their radio-friendly stuff.

:bag:

3. Don't like Gilmour do you Jason?:)

I'd kill to see them together again , doing Animals and the Final Cut.................maybe Meddle too.

Anyone know what Syd is doing nowadays?

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It is really silly that they can't do a Floyd reunion tour. They could mix in their solo material. The boys played so well together at Live 8. I mean come on, they are not getting any younger. :rollno:

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't know what beef a lot of PF fans have with Gilmour, it sounds like a lot of material from Animals and the Wall were "borrowed" from Gilmour's first solo album.

I got to see Waters in Dallas back in '00. It was a great show. He did some "interpretations" of some Floyd tunes that I liked a little better. Namely, Wish You Were Here and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

6. Pink Floyd gained their edge when Syd left. What they lost was an acid head.

7. I saw Waters in 99 and 2000 and was amazed. The DOGS blew me away.

I am a huge Floyd nut and know a lot of their history. I don;t have a beef with Gilmour, but it does seem he might be the one who is keeping them apart. I always thought it was Roger.

Oh well.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Dave Gilmour is presumably only promoting his new solo album, not Pink Floyd ...

I heard a track on the radio the other day which is to be released as a single - it had like a Supergroup lineup...but I can't remember all the people ...?

9. gilmor is the business, imo!
    this thread totally got my hopes up :(

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's too bad. I know lots of people that would love to see this, myself included.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Me too.

Besides great performances, technically it also probably had the best audio I have ever heard at a concert. The show really knocked my socks off.

12. It's got David Crosby and Graham Nash on BVs. Fantastic!

Muzique Fann... I think Rog'n'Dave are in different places now, musically speaking. You're obviously not a fan of Dave 2006, but at least give his DVD a go if you haven't already. It's got some incredible stuff on it, not least WYWH, High Hopes and a gut-wrenching version of Richard Thompson's Dimming of the Day.

You can watch a bit of it here.

I suspect Rog will need to eat a whole lot more humble pie before Dave will entertain any sort of permanent reunion... whatever he did/said/whatever to Dave, it's obviously scarred him pretty deep...!

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hate to say I've seen that DVD and was way...underwhelmed. Found myself fast forwarding and just not impressed (too weak/mellow?). IMO Gilmour just isn't that good by himself. I wonder if he can't legally perform all the 'good songs' because Roger wrote them, hehe. I saw Waters at Shoreline on the In The Flesh Tour and it was Amazing - was that the '00 or '01 tour you guys were talking about? Whoever said that Gilmour is keeping them apart could be right on the money - his attitude at the Live 8 thing stunk.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure I've seen interviews where Roger said that Dave was a good guitarist but had no ideas of his own...:meh:

I suppose he still wants to prove him wrong?

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    According to Saucerful of Secrets (Pink Floyd Biography), after he was released from the mental ward, Syd wanted nothing more than to hold down a normal day job as an accountant, and for people to stop coming to his door to pester himself and his mother. The book, written in '92 or so, implied that he was doing well in normal life, and wanted to put Pink Floyd far, far behind him.

16. Yip.. Syd is alive and well, living a normal life in Cambridge.

[​IMG]

Dave's new single is great, by the way. Here's the video...

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've seen both live, though on earlier tours than have been mentioned here. Gilmour on the tour where he had Mick Ralphs on 2nd guitar (About Face, i think... 86?) and Waters on the Pros and Cons tour. I think that they were both very good. Waters was decidedly the one with the "supergroup" atmosphere and the massive visuals. Gilmour's show was more of a straight up music for music's sake thing. FWIW, I don't think enough of either of at this point them to cross the street for a show. It could be great if they worked together again. They seem to me to be another case of neither admitting that they are complimentary.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ever hear the story of how they were recording Wish You Were Here and some fat bald guy kept coming into the studio (brushing his teeth very often)...nobody knew who it was...blah blah...they figured out after he left that it was Syd - very strange. I forget where I read that.

19. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I'll most probably be seeing Roger Waters this summer at the Roskilde Festival. In addition to that, Opeth, Tool, Sigur Rós, and lots of others. I had the time of my life at Roskilde Festival last year, and I suspect that this year's festival will be just as great (probably better). :D

That new Gilmour single sounded great! When's the album due for release?

20. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I wonder who is doing bass for David? Guy Pratt maybe?

What would've been really cool (and completely unexpected) would've been Roger and Rick. From the way I understand they never really got on all that well. But man, when they wrote together they wrote some really, really awsome tunes.

I think in the beggining Roger was the one who wouldn't budge on reunion, now though I do think it is David. I wish they would get together and play at least one last tour. I mean you'd think after all these years they'd put the past behind them. :eyebrow: