1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All my basses are busted.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Bass 1: Ground hum problem, took it to the shop, the tetch said 7 to ten days.
    I get a call from the shop saying he is injured & won't be in for the next 2 weeks. He already started the work on the bass, which is like half done. They say I can't leave with a bass that the work is not completed on.

So 3 weeks without my main jazz bass.......

Bass 2 : Moses graphite neck needs to be returned to the company because the frets have lifted causing excessive fret buzz.

Bass 3: Needs a whole fret board leveling, since it was refreted from a damaged neck.

All this at the same time.....

This leaves me with........no usable basses.......I'm really screwed

2. who is Al?

3. Fix bass one yourself and defret bass two.

4. I take it you have gigs on the horizon?

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Fixed

6. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'd buy a cheap bass (like an SX) and sell it when the other basses are ready.

7. too bad about the tech already started the work, I would have taken it back. Do you know how to solder? if yes I would fix it myself next time. 2 and 3 are bummers.

8. So you can't take bass #1 back from the shop and either fix it yourself or take it to another shop?
    "Can't leave with a bass that the work is not completed on" sounds...uh...outside their legal rights, let's just say.

You are not responsible to accomodate them because their man got hurt. They can either get another tech to fix it within the 10 day time frame, or give it back to you. They want to hold it so that they can charge you the money for the repair THAT THEY CAN'T DO for you at the moment. They don't have a legal right to do that.

In a hypothecial, you'd win in smal claims court on that. So, I would get my entire bass back from them (old, bad parts and all) and take it to another tech. It's your property, you have that right. Don't let them get demanding or pushy with you simply because they want your money. If they want the repair job, it's THEIR responsibility to get another tech to fix it in a timely fashion.

9. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Squier, because, from my knowledge, SX basses aren't stocked in music stores.

Take your pick of the basses at the local music store. Walk out with it. Play it until your other basses come back, and sell it.

OR:

Ask if you can borrow a bass from the shop. Mom's Music (excellent dealer and cool place, despite name) in Louisville will let you borrow a bass if you don't have one and one is being fixed, assuming it hasn't been abused, or if it's on order.

10. Arrachion

Arrachion

Feb 24, 2008
    +1
    They should give you a loaner until yours is done.

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I do know how to solder and I do all my own wiring, but I do most of my wiring lately using butt connectors (no laughing) and heat shrink tubing.

Butt connector
    !BpGQ0QQBGk~$(KGrHqIOKi!EuTLlFoR!BLp82WNFmg~~_35.jpg

Heat shrink tubing
    [​IMG]

You'll need a stripper/crimper like this:
    !B1yWFQ!CGk~$(KGrHqZ,!iYE)qgRNWqdBMf5Iqwyig~~_3.jpg

If you need wiring advice I could definitely help out.

12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I know how to do basic set up, been doing it for years I avoid techs.

Guess I'm going to learn to solder.

13. I think the shop owes you a loaner...

14. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut

15. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Look at my post above. Unless you need to connect a wire to a potentiometer lug or switch lug then my method will work. It works especially well with grounding and shielding. I've had too many situations where I tried soldering to the back of a pot only to damage it because my soldering iron was too hot or not hot enough or something like that.

16. Do ya have a Kazoo? :bag:

17. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I have a similar issue going right now..I bought a new bass because I had to send my other bass into the manufacturer in California for warranty work and I know that it will be forever until the bass is fixed or replaced. :meh:
    I did not have a back up so i just bit the bullet and now I have a back up.

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Look for the win-win solution. Give them the choice between giving you your bass back as is with no charge and loaning you a similar bass for the duration of their difficulties. Do they have any used basses in stock that you could get by with?

One thing to keep in mind is that the time to recover from an injury is at best an estimate, and if you agree to letting them keep your bass until it's ready you risk going back to them in two weeks and finding out that it's going to be another two weeks. And so on.

Work with them, but don't roll over.

19. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    can this be a club?
    Bass 1 - dead spots galore.
    Bass 2 - Neck I bought doesn't fit.
    Bass 3 - refinishing job gone horribly wrong, fried electronics
    Bass 4 - Works when it wants to.
    Bass 5 - Eats input jacks. I think I have to install one a month.
    Bass 6 - Needs a jack, tuning peg keeps breaking and I can't find a replacement.

EDIT: holy crap, I have 6 basses.

20. Had a problem similair I was between basses so I fixed up my first bass to play. Check craigs for something cheap you can use and resell at not a loss when your done.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021