1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All-New Ampeg SCR-DI!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CharlieC, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    I got this pedal about three/four months ago and I absolutely love it!! My sound guy loves it even more than me, lol. The tone is an Ampeg monster and the scrambler deals it out and rocks hard. It stays on all the time. The rest of the band digs it and the guitar player said my sound was sick good. The thunderbird sounds killer but the Rickenbacker is off the chain. I would definitely recommend this baby if you want to ROCK. :bassist:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah. i love mine too. i also just got the stand alone 'classic preamp' version (that doesn't have a DI or the scrambler circuit), but it is true bypass (the SCR-DI isn't), and that one's great too, and i think that the classic preamp a steal at $99.

JimmyM likes this.
  3. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    The scrambler sounds great with this TH G&L and Orange setup as well as with a few Ampeg combinations I have. Absolutely love the crunchiness. :hyper:However with my Aguilar GS 212/112 or 412, it doesn't quite work for me no matter what head I use.
    So for those situations, I bring out the trusty Sans Amp and to my ears, sounds much better. :thumbsup:

4. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    @JimmyM
    Sorry....you're the authority on this pedal :)

I record with an early B15n often going into a Two Notes Captor or Universal Audio OX. Sounds great.
    When I need DI, I often use a Neve Portico II. Sounds great.

Vintage tones....fingers/thumb and pick. I do use Fuzz but usually split to a second amp.

I am interested in having a tone stack going into my B15n (currently use an EWS BMC or Orange Two Stroke to control mids). I am always interested in a mild overdrive.
    I would also use it live (but not with the B15).
    The B15 breaks up very differently if you scoop out some mids before the amp.

I started down the rabbit hole of looking at the API Tranzformer (NAMM Gas) and found the Ampeg in the process. I was initially more interested in the API as a dedicated DI Bass recording chain that would double duty as a live EQ/Comp/DI. It is expensive and big. I don't do a lot of touring (Too old!) but have a few fly dates this summer so I'll be mad if I don't actually use what I buy.

Amp sim is not my goal. I have one :)

Do you think the SCR is worth a try for this? I am definitely interested in it for live.....

Thanks
    John

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it might work for you, but if amp sim isn't your goal, then it may not since it at least cuts highs past what I think is 5k. It's a very nice box for the money, though.

6. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    I would be interested to see a comparison between the Eden Glowplug and the standalone Scrambler. I know it's not really an apples to apples comparison but I can't seem to find a shop with both pedals.

From what I've read the standalone is true bypass so worthy of consideration, and I didn't find the Darkglass pedal I tried that warranted its cost.

7. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    So it's likely to be good for live and possibly for recording. I don't like high frequencies in my tone anyway but the OPTION would have been nice.

In a perfect world....the Rolloff would only be on the XLR out.

dbbltime and JimmyM like this.
  8. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Just played for a little while, but my initial opinion is really good.
    I have only tried it with 9v so far.

I love the voicing of the EQ.
    The Ultra Low responds like I want it to and the mid frequency is good.
    The Scrambler seems useful. I need to use it in a track before i have a real opinion on that.
    There really should have been a volume control on that right? You get the blend too high and there is a volume drop.

Anyway...it seems to sound good through my B15 (want to try it in a track).
    And the DI sound is definitely something I wouldn't feel BAD about sending to front of house.

dbbltime, DonaldR and JimmyM like this.
  9. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Following up....
    It’s a good box.
    I might hang onto it specifically for live direct to house. I think I even got a good DI tone with a fuzz running into it
    (MXR Blowtorch).

Into my B15, I think I prefer using the BMC air Orange Two Stroke to cut mids rather than the SRC.

Going direct, I like the SRC set to Uktra Low

The Scrambler.....there is low frequency / volume drop when you run the blend much over 9:00-10:00.
    Running the gain high at that low blend adds an overtone that probably works great in a mix.

10. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Got the SCR-DI last week but only got the chance to test it last night. First impression is very good. I was surprised (and happy) to get an Ampeg sound baked in when bypassed. That's adding a lot of versatility with my active bass as I can set the basic sound from the bass and then add a second sound when activated. The Scramble is very usable in my case, just missing its own volume knob.

I was thinking the SCR-DI would replace my old Peavey tube preamp (which sounds meh playing alone but terrific in a band) but far from sure yet. But I bought the SCR-DI for when I don't want to bring my 2U rack.

FYI am going ampless into EV ZLX12P top and EV ZXA1 sub.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    abracadunphy likes this.
  11. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    The SCR-DI sounds great with full range powered cabs

Jazz Ad and macmanlou like this.
  12. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Totally agree