1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All-nighters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Lesser, Apr 8, 2009.

1. When's the last time you pulled one, and what for?

I'm just finishing up my first all-nighter in a couple of years (surprisingly, since I am a student) because of a paper that I stupidly left to the last minute. It is 6:40am and the sun is on its way up at this point. :rollno:

So let's hear some stories.

2. the other day i had to stay up, im in child studies 11 so i got to take a realcare baby home, kept me up all night. last night i wrapped it in some blankets and stuffed it in my closet. i'm slowly but surely learning how to become a parent

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hmmm, last time was when my band and I tried to simultaniously make over our myspace and website...

We started at 10 pm and finished at 5 pm the next day... :meh:

But that wasn't the last time I pulled one...Does just having insomnia count as well?

4. I guess?

Anyway, I'm done my paper now, and I have class in an hour, so I'm not even going to bother going to sleep. An hour of shut eye will probably wreck me worse than not sleeping.

5. im an architecture student. I average an all nighter about every two weeks. I dont even think about them as being unusual anymore.
    Yes i have a tendency to leave things to the last minute.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I was on a canoe trip, and was way to drunk to ****. Not that I let that stop me......

7. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    In college I used to pull all-nighters all the time. I rembember recording school too, 6 or 7 guys crammed into my tiny apartment trtying to record a band we dragged off from some bar at odd ours in the morning. haha.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All the time, only because I'm easily distracted.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Walking through a blizzard couple weeks ago with no warm clothes for a few hours until 4.30am and then getting home around 5am and drinking more to warm myself up before passing out.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I should be pulling one tonight. Big marketing research assignment due at 10:20 tomorrow. I've done the leg work, now just the analysis. Yet, I'm playing Call of Duty: World at War.

Seventeen years of being a student, five weeks from graduation... needless to say, I'm a bit burned out.

11. 7-yr-old daughter fell out of the top bunk & cut her *girl part* bad enough to require a couple of stitches. ER from 10:30-3 or 4, IIRC. I probably do not *recall correctly* though. Not pleasant; the bed is now gone.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think you win by default. That's terrible! Hope she's OK.

Anyway... I used to do them all the time. We wouls play in southern SC one night and northern VA the next then in the mountains of NC the next. By the 3rd day, I didn't trust anybody else to drive, so I did it. I would get home and not remember the trip.

13. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I stay up all night all the time. Stay at home daddy with two babies.

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Does it count as an all-nighter if you still sleep for 6 or more hours afterwards?

If so, I do them all the time. It's not unusual for me to go to bed at about 4AM.

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Two days ago. I had to uhh...y'know...um...work out the uh.. strains of the day with an anxious woman.

;)

Thank God for turkish coffee...

16. I hear you, man. I graduate in a few weeks, too, and I am as burnt out as can be.

Made it through the day, though, including going to a big party that was part of one of my classes and indulging a bit in some beer. I'm going to sleep forever tonight, though.

17. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Few weeks ago to write an essay about the Dust Bowl. Good times.

The best thing for me to pull them off is a steady supply of tea. I find that coffee contains too much caffeine and causes me to crash too hard to recover from. A cup of tea every hour or two keeps me pretty steady through the night. Feels great to go to bed the next night though... have fun!

18. Last Friday with a girl and last Sunday playing Halo 3 with my buddies.

19. Thanks- she is OK, and was incredibly strong & brave(she had several nurses crying- none more than big tough me).
    But I want double-fine zone/extra credit for being an old fart(45). :atoz:

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was requainted with them when I was finishing up my masters. Not fun.