1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

all of a sudden fret buzz !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gintaras, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I was just playing my Carvin AC40 and the G string started buzzing. As I checked it closer it was buzzing at the first 3 frets and then I noticed that all the strings were doing that and that the G and D would not even play a note till I got to the third fret. I have never seen a bass react like that.:meh:

It has been quite humid the last few days and cool. I stopped using the air conditioning about 4 days ago. Could this have anything to do with it?

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    yes I can measure and adjust it and I will do it tomorrow evening but the reason for my post is that this happened so suddenly and I was wondering if this is unusual?

3. I've had this happen before with one of my basses. The temprature went from cool to drastically humid. Third fret on the E started to buzz something bad even with the lightest of touch. Once I stabalize the room temprature it went right back into place. Try stabalizing the room temp and see if this will settle the neck back down, may take a couple of days. If not give it to a tech (if your not secure in doing so yourself) and have the truss rod adjusted.

4. my AC40 is the most sensitive neck of all my basses, I have to tweak the truss rod quite a bit on it...that's the downside...

the upside is that it is also the most responsive trussrod that I have...adjustments are quick (usually 2-3 minutes)...

I always find that after I make a move on my AC40, I'll have to make another counter move a day later (not as drastic), then it will be good for a few months...

I think the main reason for this is the mahogany construction...even through it has an ebony board and two carbon-fibre reinforcement rods, it's quite thin, and there's a definite trade-off there...but I do love the way it feels...my AC40 has been my "on the stand" bass for the last couple of months, so I've been picking it up several times a day...in the last two months, I've had to tweak it twice (when I first pulled it out from under the bed, and then the follow-up)

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Thanks for the info on the sensitivity of this bass. I seem to like this bass more and more and know has become one of my favorites. I presently have 4 basses that I really like but this one seems to be getting more and more play time. :hyper:

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I had to tweak my Carvin every week. Nice truss rods in them, and easy to do. That's the price you'll pay for a thin neck.

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    And there's been a lot of weird weather throughout the entire middle part of the country the last couple weeks, with 20+ degree temperature swings and wild humidity fluctations all in a matter of hours (or less).

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    thanks for all the reply's. the suddeness of this scared me but the posts on how easy it is to tweak was absolutely correct. Loosened the truss a quarter of turn and everything is fine, actually better than before. It also seemed to have cured a weak sounding G string :hyper: :hyper:

9. Same exact thing happened last practice to me with my RD500. I almost flipped! ALL of the strings buzzed on ALL of the frets! Never had a problem before, but it has been getting over 100 degrees here. I didn't have time to fiddle with it, so I used my Yamaha. By the time I got home, all was well again.

I may add a touch of relief to help compensate for future issues like this...

I never had this problem with my guitar either, but it is VERY solid and weighs more than any of my basses (or so it seems).

Ox.