1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All of a sudden, I'm getting loud shrill and intermittent "popping"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hurstp37, Apr 6, 2015.

1. hurstp37

hurstp37

Mar 20, 2014
    East Bay CA
    I have a Sterling S.U.B. that's been great, but out of the I'm all of a sudden getting a super loud shrill sound and/or intermittent popping sounds only. I thought it was my amp, so tried two more, along with trying several different cables, and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any suggestion of what it could be?

Attached Files:

2. Something on that little circuit board has gone kablooey. You'll need a new one. Or a different pre.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Sounds like GC;)

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Only because you didn't mention having tried it, and it's cheap and easy: new battery?
    Active circuits can act weird when they don't have enough volts...

5. hurstp37

hurstp37

Mar 20, 2014
    East Bay CA
    Doh! It was indeed the battery, still have the factory "not for retail sale" batter in it.

I didn't consider that a dead/dying battery would bring that kind of noise but I was mistaken.

Thank you folks, for your help.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  6. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I had a very similar issue and it turned out to be my input jack. Not that anything was really wrong with it, but that it was just coming unscrewed. That was a first for me. I went through all kinds of troubleshooting to figure that one out. I'll leave it here in cases anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

7. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    All of a sudden, I'm getting loud shrill and intermittent "popping"

You got a new bass without clearing it with your wife first? The popping could be the checkbook smacking you repeatedly in the back of the head as you type this on the forum? :roflmao:

Sorry, it's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. :unsure:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015