Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...all of a sudden...may be it's GAS again!!!! ELECTRIC-UP-RIGHT.I need infos,please!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Amoilbasso, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    ...may be it's due to the fact that I've realy been into Jazz in the last 2/3 years.
    What I NEED to know:is it very hard to play one of them for an electric-bassist,as I am?
    I once played a KYDD at Rudy's bass-shop in N.Y.....very,very cool!And it seemed much more easier to play,than a double-bass.
    Let me know your thoughts,experiences,everything related....it would be very apreciated!Thank You!!!;)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have an NS CR5 and it is definitely much easier to play than a real DB - I Played a gig with it after about 3 -4 weeks of owning it!! ;)

[​IMG]

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you,Bruce!

I had supposed this thread would have been moved to DB....but I had choose to post in BG because I was interessed in electric-bassists's point of view;)

4. fingerfunk

fingerfunk

Aug 17, 2002
    there are a lot of db players who started out on electric. so it just depends on who much you really want to do it. if you want to play db get a comfortable bass and a good teacher. if you dont there are definitely some eub`s that will make the transition very quick.

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank You FingerFunk!
    Can you name some of those EUB that make the transition so quick,as you said?
    Thank You

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    I'm not FingerFunk, but I think he probably had short scale EUBs in mind.
    There's the KYDD bass, the Zeta Crossover, the Conklin MEU, etc.
    These instruments' scale is about the same as a standard bass guitar, so the switch is easier to make.

7. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you francois,
    as I said above,I once tryed a kydd in new york:your post confirms my impression about it.Now,assuming that it would be the one to make the transition,is it considered a good-sounding EBU?
    I've seen that is far cheaper than a conklin.
    Thank you very much.:)

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I've never played one, and I wouldn't expect the deeper tone that longer strings (about 41" on a regular EUB) give, but the comments I've read were all positive.

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you Francois!
    If I should really buy an EUB one day,may be a Kydd would be a good point to begin.
    It would be silly to spend $3000 or 4000 on my first EUB!I don't have the same aspectatives,and necessities I have on an electric-bass.
    Thank you!