1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All of a sudden my PJB Breifcase is Distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    So, I have a PJB Breifcase that I use at home to practice at very low volumes. Everything was fine until last night and now it is distorting a bit. Could this be cable related? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Was anything different? do you have any pedals hooked to it ? and last are you using a passive or active bass?

3. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Nothing different. Mostly I play a passive bass through it, but also use actives and just use the active/passiv switch. No pedals, or anyhting else. I noticed there is a short speaker cable connecting the had to the speakers, wonder if that is the problem. There is no way the speakers could be blown...

4. I'm not familiar with the options on that amp but does it have an effects loop? If it does try running a short cable from the effects out to the effects in. There is a switch in the effects loop that the signal runs through and if the jacks get dirty/dusty this can cause a bad connection in that switch. Running a short cable from in to out bypassed the possibly dirty switch.
    If that works then you just need to clean the effects loop jacks with DeOxit and it should get better.

5. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks,

I will check into it.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That sounds like a great idea let us know of it works.

7. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    So... No effects loop. I guess it's back to the drawing board...

8. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i have a small gk backline amp that i use in india and it done the same thing.the problem was LOW VOLTAGE.this may not be the problem you are having but its worth checking.i use a regulator with the amp now and have had no more problems.india has a lot of voltage problms.

9. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Yeah, make sure the speaker cable is well connected, the metal links are properly in place and the 110-220volt switch is in the right position.

Did you try with another bass/ cable ?

10. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Mine distorts a bit when I need to change the batteries in my bass!!!

11. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Went in and ruled some stuff out last night.

1) Its Not the head because it sends clean signal to other cabs.

2) Its not any of the cable, instrument or speaker

3) Its not my basses, I have active and passive basses and they all distort

4) the speakers are not blown. They are both in great shape.

And, the one thing I found that really kinda pissed me off since I bought it used from what is generally regarded as "the" music store down here...

The whole amp is filthy, like disgustingly filthy. Almost like it had been left outside in a dust storm filthy. I never noticed because the outside was nice and clean. I was shocked at the amount of dust... I am going to try to pull it all apart and really clean every piece of it... better yet I might take it back to the store and have them do it...

12. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    To the OP, is there any followup on your problem?

I had a similar problem with mine a while back, with one of the first generation Briefcases. After much diagnosis and even a trip back to the factory, the problem was fixed by replacing a faulty fuse deep inside the amp.

13. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Yeah, I'd love to hear of any resolution. Like Leo mentioned, call Phil or Freda and they'll take care of you. Hope it all works out.

14. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I have yet to follow up on this. I have been really busy at work. I will, most likely, send it to Phil.

15. Did you get it at SA in Nashville? They had one in there last summer that sounded great but was really trashed. I wasn't the usual 'dumped beer on it' trash - more like left out in the elements a few weeks kind of trashy. But it sounded like new. They had it at a fair price actually for the looks. Just wondering if you got it, because I later wished I'd gotten it.

16. Oops just saw you are in Arizona. Someone else got the trash PJB.

17. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I know it has been a while since the last post, but for everyone who helped with this, especially Jaquo, I will let you know that this amp is fixed and sounding better than ever. There is a transistor mounted to a tiny little board inside the amp that was blown, casuing the distortion. Ended up being about a $60 fix... Not too shabby, its amazing what a good practice amp can do for your motivaation to play.

18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Excellent, glad to hear that it's been sorted out and that it was a fairly cheap fix.