Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All of you refridgerator players out there

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Feb 20, 2006.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    What heads do you use to power you're ampeg 8x10? I just bought one and need a more powerful head to get the most out of it.

2. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I use an ampeg v4bh and its only 100w. If I bought a regular power amp like a Nady, would the brand of power amp have a noticible impact on my sound?

3. If you want to stick with Ampeg, I'd recommend the SVT-CL if you like tube power amps, or try out the new SVT-1000 if you're into SS, or if you'd rather have a rack-mountable SS Power Amp with lots o' juice, the SVT-4 Pro.

4. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I've run as much as 1200 watts into mine with no problems. Sure- pick up a Nady or Behringer power amp, get a decent preamp (alembic and demeter make good ones), and you'll have a massive sounding rig.

Get a back brace too. You'll need it!
    =)

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Everything Nady I have ever owned was crap. Why do you need another amp? Is the V4BH not loud enough, you dont like the tone or???

6. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I love the v4bh, but its not really powerful enough for me. I have to face up to two marshall 100w halfstacks and I always hear myself pushing the preamp really hard. I run an active jazz bass and a warwick through a sans amp with the drive all the way up. It causes way too much preamp distortion and causes everything to get muddy.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So crank up the master! Power tube overdrive is a glorious thing! :hyper:

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Have you ever tried the V4BH without the sansamp? I am guessing the Sansamp is probably scooping out most of your mids and thats why its not loud enough. A V4BHh through an 810 wont be as loud as a 300 watt SVT, but it should be pretty loud.

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    QSC RMX2450 and a Bmax SS.

10. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I have an SVT-4PRO and I love it. When I had my ampeg 8x10, that and the SVT-4PRO was a killer stack with lots of headroom. IMO, those are great heads, but what you need to do is go out and try out everything you can. You may not like the SVT-4PRO, who knows. Aguilar, Alembic, and demeter make great preamps, and Ampeg, Epifani, and, Eden make great heads, but what are you looking for? :confused:

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    GK 1001 RB-II

Loud head, loads of headroom. Works well with the SansAmp as well, I might add.

12. blackstingray

blackstingray

Feb 13, 2006
    when i run the v4bh-av through the 810 av, it's as loud as i ever need, try it without the sansamp, which is probably the source of all that preamp gain. wear earplugs if you cant hear that thing with the 810.

(PS, if you run the preamp at 3 o clock, and the master at noon or 1, its hella loud, and sounds awesome:hyper: )

13. Ampeg 810 is pretty general. My 810 was 240 watts, I wouldn't put a 1200 watt amp through it. Used a 100 watt Marshall.

14. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Definately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Also calling all spelling tutors!

16. My son-in-law uses an Ampeg B4R on top of his 6x10.

I have the B4R for awhile for tinkering purposes. It has a 9-band graphic EQ and a number of tone adjustments including 5 styles, gain, and tone controls.

17. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    A 240 watt Ampeg 810? Surely you jest. I've never heard of one with that low of a power handling capacity.

18. How old are you?

19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Back in the day, they used to sell SVTs with two cabinets, because one couldn't handle the 300 watts that the head put out. Sort of the same thing like with the old Plexi Marshalls. My guess is that the cabinet he was talking about was about twice as old as I am.

20. We have a winner!

Sounded killer too. Made the newer ones whimper in shame.