1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD All Original 1973 Fender Jazz 3TSB with OHSC - Heavy (Real!) Relic Sunburst & Case 8lbs, 6 oz.!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by subtlestew, Dec 20, 2018.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price:
    $3500
    Strings:
    Perhaps this is the bass you have been looking for. If you are looking for a naturally relic'd Jazz that plays and sounds great, look no further. I held off on buying a vintage, all-original Jazz for a long time because I was worried that if I bought one without playing it first it might not be a good player. I had the opportunity to try this one in person before laying down a chunk of change for it, and I knew immediately upon playing it that this was "the one." It is one of the best-playing basses I have ever had in my hands, and it sounds divine. Exactly like so many recordings I grew up with as a kid. The last time I played it live I used no effects whatsoever and got many compliments on the tone.

So why am I selling? Well, I had the opportunity to buy another vintage Jazz from the same seller (the outstanding @Latinbass ) and I can't in good conscience keep them both - not with a big anniversary vacation with Mrs. subtlestew happening in the near future. So this one must go, unfortunately.

$3500 shipped CONUS and insured, PayPal OK. $3250 cash in person here in NW CT, or other agreed-upon meet-up location.

So here's what you need to know about this one. It's an early '73 that (I'm told by a reputable TB Fender expert) exhibits the qualities typically found on a '72 (AKA Geddy Lee Jazz), notably the placement of the tug bar holes. The '72 placement makes the bass more valuable, he says, for the '72 specs are more desirable. The neck stamp is from April '72, but the pots date to early '73. Parts from different years (especially consecutive ones) frequently appeared on the same bass when new, and the dating is determined by the last parts to be made (for it obviously couldn't have left the factory in '72 with '73 parts,) so that's what makes this a '73, but with the more desirable '72 specs.

The bass is a light, comfortable, and resonant beast with a weight of 8 lbs., 6 oz. (Weighed on the very accurate postal scale at my workplace.)

All that said, I have owned a couple of Japanese Geddy Lees, and my other vintage Jazz is a '72, and the neck on this one is not as pencil-thin as those. I find this one to have a more substantial neck, very much like those found on the USA Geddy. This makes the bass very comfortable to play. The pickups also have a richer, fuller sound than the ones on the MIJ Geddy basses, which I find to be a big plus. The tone is strong with this one!

I do not have the tugbar or covers, though the original case is included. It's a bit beat up, but the latches all still work.

As you can see from the photos, the bass is super road-worn, including some (stable) cracks in the PG etc. The PO told me it was owned by a gigging NYC bassist for years. The best basses get played a ton, and this one falls into that category. I especially love the way the red shows through where your right forearm rests! So cool...

So here come the pics...
    DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
  3. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    OH MY OH MY

subtlestew likes this.
  4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Wow!! That thing is so crusty, I LOVE IT!!

five7 and subtlestew like this.
  5. Latinbass

Latinbass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    That is one beautiful jazz bass with plenty of mojo! It has a great neck, nice action, feel and plenty of tone to die for.....
    I recommend the bass and the seller++++!

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

b7e7835bbc43988847e129e06ce3316e2de9762d2b6d0c2c909b607edfadae7e.

subtlestew likes this.
  7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I recommend you buy it for me :woot:

Latinbass likes this.
  8. That is one of the prettiest 70's Jazz Basses I've ever seen, Wow.

Latinbass and subtlestew like this.
  9. NoOneUKnow

NoOneUKnow Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2018
    FL
    ILikeItAlot.

10. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    I want this so bad!! Any interest in a fretless Wal mk1?

Jaymi and TN WOODMAN like this.
  11. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Very tempting, but this needs to be cash, I'm afraid. Thanks.

13. Very very very interested in adding this bass to my collection. Please email me at pcnegrao@mac.com

14. BenCampbell

BenCampbell Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    What a beautiful looking bass!

I bought a vintage Jazz Bass from SubtleStew a few years ago - wonderful TB'er to do business with. GLWTS!

subtlestew and BWorm like this.
  15. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    I'd be happy to deliver this one to you in Times Square tomorrow just like I did last time... I'll be in the city again!

:)

16. BenCampbell

BenCampbell Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    That thought has definitely crossed my mind!!! Hahaha

BWorm and subtlestew like this.
  17. guitarbrent

guitarbrent Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Any sound clips of this bass by chance?

18. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Sending you a PM now...

19. DavidBassista

DavidBassista

May 21, 2014
    NYC
    Would love to play this!

subtlestew likes this.
  20. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Potential deal in the works... if you are on the fence, I'd recommend making a move now.