1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"All original" Musicmaster on the Bay... Original?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi folks, I removed the link here because the seller removed the "all original" wording from his listing. Nothing to see here, move along... :D :D :D

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Sure looks like a J pickup to me. I've never seen a Fender Musicmaster that didn't have a split pickup. If I were bidding any amount over $100, I'd insist on a photo of it with the pickguard off.

And the finish...looks exactly like a friend's Musicmaster from which he stripped the original white finish, showing mismatched wood underneath.

Vintage, maybe, but a vintage mutt.

3. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Refinished, wrong pickup, wrong pick guard, wrong tuners.
    In general trashed, why would you want it?

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    My first bass was a musicmaster. It had these tuners on it. Got it used, in about '81, for $100. It too was a refin. Orginal pickup though. The musicmasters I have seen have a single coil guitar pickup in them, under a solid black cover, no exposed pole pieces. I thought the split pickup short scale Fenders were the mustangs, then maybe the bronco bass. Could be wrong.

Lee

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nope. Original Musicmasters had six-pole guitar pickups under a solid black cover, as BassikLee said.
    This one's been stripped and had the pickup replaced.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My mistake. I see that I was confusing it with the Mustang, as you both said.

I went back to the eBay pics, and, I have to say, that is one crappy aerosol can respray. It looks as though no surface prep or finish sanding was done.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have a "thing" for cheap shortscale basses. But I don't want this one- I only posted here to make sure I wasn't judging incorrectly.

EDIT: the seller has removed the "all original" wording from his listing, so there 's not much left to say here. Thanks for your comments!