1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

all-out bass mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danswon, Apr 26, 2006.

1. danswon

danswon

Apr 26, 2006
    hi m'name's dan this is my first post, may not be in the right section exactly... bass-ically (sorry) i'm a guitarist been playing for quite a while but i've always played the bass too but never got round to buying one myself

i just found a cheap-looking old Encore p-bass copy, is just like a p-bass in all features and dimensions, but its in a terrible state... so im going to upgrade everything... and i wondered if there's anyone knowledgable about the best way to go for:

- what kind of nut
    -whats thje best bridge replacement
    - best pickup replacement
    -good cheap tuners
    - nice strings that arent too expensive

and what gauge strings would be ideal for just general hard rock pick-style? dont want anything too thick or thin... s'pose im asking what gauge strings all basses just come with

there must be a fair few of you who've taken a cheap p-bass copy and juiced it up so any advice would be more than welcome!

thanks!

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Bone or brass nut (brass is nice, but more expensive)
    Gotoh 201 or BadAss II bridge (both pretty good)
    Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb P pickup
    Mighty Mite replacement tuners (good and pretty cheap)
    Rotosound RS 66 Swing Bass Strings (45-105)

The ultimate hard rock P bass setup IMO. You can get almost everything besides maybe the nut from Guitarelectronics.com

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    This should be, or will be moved to the Setup and repair forum.
    Buk heck, I'll chime in!!

Bone nut.
    BadAss or Gotoh as mentioned by dave
    But, by the time you do this, you may be able to take that cash and buy a nicer MIM or MIJ P-Bass.
    Or at least an SX, which for the money, are STUPID good deals.
    The pick-ups, bridge and tuners are gonna set you back close to $200.
    I'd look at an SX.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    make your own pickups :bag: ...

i read about making them for like 3 hours last night and now i really wanna do it. but i'm anticipating it will take me like 3-5 hours per single coil.

5. danswon

danswon

Apr 26, 2006
    yeah i thought it might end up costing more but you know its just fun to make a project of it!
    thanks for everyone's advice, i'll look into that

just one more thing, its got no pots.. and i just dont want to put a tone pot in, volume yes. but i know tha no tone pot = brighter and higher output, so i read about seymour duncan hot p-bass PU being darker, but its got a huge output and i dont want to overdrive anything i put it in... also what rating pot should i use for volume? maybe a 250k or less would sort all that out.. any thoughts?

as for making my own pickups, im not quite that adventurous!

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    250k pots are what I always use in my basses for volume or tone. I have a Hot for P bass pickup in my SX bass and it sounds great, almost like a vintage P but higher output (in a fact a lot higher output than the Hot Stack J pickup I have it paired with!). The QP output is even higher though, and I'd say more aggressive sounding. I'm thinking of getting a QP for my Washburn which is just essentially a P bass configuration since I like the way my friend's P sounds with one.

7. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    actually, unless I'm reading the Seymour Duncan site wrong, the Hot for P has a higher output than the QP. However, the Hot has a more traditional sound like a standard P, just a much higher output. The HOt for P boasts the signal pretty even a across. Should help to keep the sound guy from telling you that your bass has a low signal then having to explain to him that it's a passive bass. The QP tone is aggressive and in your face, easily overdriven, which works great for rock/hard rock/metal etc..... The QP scoops the tone a little more, boosting the bass and treble and scooping out the mids slightly. I just dropped a hot for P in my P and fell in love with tone and output.