All percussion music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Was stuck in a pep assembly today (the horror...the horror...) and the banb had a couple parts that were all percussion. I really like sound of 4 or 5 drums going on at once. Any reccomendations from the peanut gallery for all percussion recordings to look into?
  2. Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Blueman Group is pretty percussion oriented, though it isn't pure drums. I don't really know where you could find a CD of their's besides at one of their shows, which might be kind of a long drive for you. Anywho, if you can get one, I'd recommend it. It's interesting stuff.
  3. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I believe that that play Stomp was all percusion...well or people beating on anything they can find. If you like the sound of, I am guessing it was a maching band, then a lot of college bands sell CD's that include all drum numbers on it.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  5. Test Department.. mostly their early stuff. "Unacceptable Face Of Freedom"(early 80's only) very political too , I think they also used bagpipes and anything else they could get their hands on. They mostly used drum like things though... Worth checking out! Test department makes Stomp and The Blueman Group look like The Back Street Boys..

P.I.L album, "Flowers Of Romance", it was recorded in a haunted building or something..Spooky Stuff! but a fine recording, very drum heavy

6. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    If you want to hear some out of this world percussion, check out a Japanese band called Kodo. They are a group of drummers using anchient japanese drums otherwise known as taiko. At some points you have 30 drums of various tunings and sizes going at once. Carefull though, make sure you have a system capable of reproducing the low end that these drums are capable of...scary bottom end. Go to for more information.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :D :D

from what i heard, the "rally" just consisted of "WHOOOOO!" (i was too busy working on the school paper to go, fortunately).

our drum line is still good, eh? i oughtta go to a game so i can hear'em again. our best drummer graduated last year. holy crud, he could play! he played tenor in marching band (pretty much toms that strap to your waist). and he was salutatorian! :eek:

as far as all percussion idea. maybe check out for african drum corps recordings! that would be cool, imo.
  8. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    You should check out drum and bugle corps. I think is a site where you could find some. True, there's horns, but mostly all of the corps have one or two 'drum features' that stuff is bad.

Related note...I used to play tenors in high school too:D

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have a cd of The Drummers of Burundi. It's one piece and it lasts about 43 minutes. All drums. Some singing.

Pretty cool stuff.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Already heard of Kodo. They came to my attention via a collaboration with Sepultura, post Max. The song is Kamatachi, very drum heavy song, all intstrumental. Good song.
  11. My daughter just was telling me of a group by the name of "OneDrum". Her employer recently had them in for an event and she thought I may interested in listening to their music. Their music is primarily drums, various other percussion instruments, and a bass. Although, you occasionally will hear other strings and maybe a flute in the background. Check out their website to hear sound clips of their work.[/URL]