Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all right, dadgummit...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Feb 19, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who else around here play's 7 strings or more? i know bassdude does (you still there carl?), i want to know who else is doing the BIG time ;), so fess up! :D

2. If it make you feel any better John, I WANT to get one, but Im poor, and my mom would kill me

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    SlapDaddy plays a 7. Uhhhh...now I'm jus' guessin' here :) .

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm with ya, JT. I'm playing 7 all the time these days, now that I got that killer Roscoe SKB 3007. Tune the top two down a half-step and melodic bass playing never got so good! Mercy, mama.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Y'all do a lot of work with weights to strengthen yer upper backs? I've stuck with them regular basses (y'know, with four strings?) just 'cause I can barely stand up all night with one them (and a light one at that) let alone a SEVEN. Gawd. It's impressive enough that you can find musical ideas to use alla them strings but standing through an hour set with one a these monsters hanging offa ya is what really makes me think y'all are gods.
    What's the secret?
    Must be in yer jeans.

6. its gotta be in the shoes. ;)

geesh you guys, i can only handle as much a 5 (or maybe a 6 but never tried). maybe if i find out what kind of shoes these guys wear ill have the power to hold a 7.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee :D the secret in my jeans i'm not sharing with anybody but my woman! :D

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    5 strings is enough for me!! I like a little boom in my music... but hardly play cords. Also since I am still pretty new, I need plenty of room to slap otherwise I get that ugly pootang sound as I hit between the strings... doh. Maybe when I grow up....

Oh, JT!! I forgot to mention... A pic of you made it to my desktop as wallpaper... I saw that Freekin monsterous doubleneck one too many times and then decided, sheesh... I want that on my PC.

So not that I am stalking you or anything (muhahaha) but anyways... that's the scoop. :)

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I used to have a Warmoth 8 string Jazz bass I sold on eBay a while back. It was a doubled 8, so I don't know if that counts. It sounded sweet but had to sell it cause I had alot of GAS building up!!!

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    >>I like a little boom in my music... <<

gbrooks, what makes you think a 7 will give you any less o' that?????

My Roscoe 7 has the fattest low B I've ever heard. You ain't givin' up nuthin' on the low end, my friend. In many cases, the opposite may be true!

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Lordy, son, whe're you gettin' yer info about the weight of 7 string basses. Sure, some are massive, but my Roscoe 7 is as light as any number of 4's out there. It's easily as light as a G&L 2500 for instance and certainly sports less tonage than a late 70's ash Jazz.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    wow, they make basses with more than 4? hehe

13. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    JT This is a bass site, try the Stick site or something or harp or piano. Just kidding. :)

jc

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my doubleneck weighs about 27 pounds. i usually play it for about 1/2 of our gigs. when we have gigs. :rolleyes:

my other 7's weigh between 12 and 15 pounds, and my 8's weigh 16.5 pounds.

then again i weigh around 200 pounds, so i hardly notice it. :D

15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Originally posted by boogiebass
    Lordy, son, whe're you gettin' yer info about the weight of 7 string basses.

From the ones I've played in stores and at NAMM? C'mon, there's no such thing as a "light" 7.

Sure, some are massive, but my Roscoe 7 is as light as any number of 4's out there. It's easily as light as a G&L 2500 for instance and certainly sports less tonage than a late 70's ash Jazz.

And while you may be right that's still too heavy for me, I've got some upper spine problems. I was makin' a little fun about havin' to have huevos to play a seven but there was actually some sincerity in wondering how you guys deal with the weight. Weight is the only factor that's kept me from getting one.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jeff, i've played a curbow 7 before that was super light. so were the warrior 7's that i've played. you might want to check them out.

17. Hey JT, how is that Curbow 7? Does it balance well? I wanna see if I can score a used Curbow IEP 5, but the wide, thin, super-flat neck somewhat concerns me. My hands are just a little bit bigger than yours (2.875" index finger from tip to web--the thread that yokel Rich Koerner and I are arguing on got me interested), so the string spacing probably won't be a problem for me on the 5-stringer.

18. Soon, I'm workin on it, but I'm getting married in August and I am supposed to be saving money.....

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

man, he's pissed off, isn't he? :eek:

the curbow was a bit headstock heavy, but to be honest, every 7 i've ever tried was at least a little headstock heavy, except for my doubleneck :D

it was sorta cool otherwise, but i'm not much for curbow basses. the low B was a bit weak, but otherwise...

20. umm, i am really hoping you posted you finger length at one time john.

other wise i am kind of scared.