Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Right Hear This!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi

If you ever wonder how I play bass, now you can either Love me or Hate me with this file.

I recorded it on a cool recording software and using my Zoom 3000b Effects unit (just as a Preamp ;)). the recordings were live and on the go... no retouches :)

It´s a 1Mb Zip file with three MP3 with really not that complex stuff but as Wooten says it´s just "Me and my bass guitar!" :D

and the songs are:

1.-Southbound Pachyderm (primus cover, nothing fancy but remember i´m playing the A string all over the song while playing the other notes...and some changes that i added in the end... will add more to make it a solo on a show).

2.- Minuet (Bach classic on bass)

3.- My attempt on Jaco..."AMAZING GRACE" (had fun with harmonics... too bad my Fender MIM had a dead spot on one of the harmonics in the bridge of the song... used a little Chorus-Fretless effect)

enjoy and post your opinions... keep on mind i have just a year and 2 months of playing...

go here:
    members.nbci.com/radioheadmex/Dave Castelo - Greatest Hits.zip

see ya!!
    (if you got problems with the link tell me)

2. Great work man. You're better than me! hehehe Maybe I should make mp3's of the bach peices I learned so far.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thanks man!
    i´m making more recordings of really newbie stuff... hehehe

it would be nice if you post some Mp3 of you (althoug I already hear you in the Video :D)

4. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Good work Dave!
    Check out the misc forum to hear my bands mp3

5. Well done Dave! Out of curiosity, what is this "cool software" that you used to record? I use Cool Edit Pro at home, but am looking for a more professional setup. You'll find a few sound "snippets" of mine (recorded w/ Cool Edit Pro) on my website. Put your cursor over the photos. Nothing major ;)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Very cool keep it up.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it´s called Total Recorder and it´s a pretty simple software that allows me to record directly to the computer and save it as MP3...

the illegal part of the history is that i got a key generator for it...

8. Re: My "Cool Edit Samples" - on second thought... don't go to my site unless you have a high speed connection. I just tried it on a dial up, and it takes eons to load all the sounds. Back to the drawing board.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    don´t worry i got CABLE baby!

:D

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Make sure this thread stays at the top, I can't check it out til I get back to my home computer. I'm on the road right now and can't use this PC to download. I can't wait to hear it though. Very cool!

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    As I've just found out to my cost... :(

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    the page has something that make it slow... i think it´s the menu...

BTW: "Struttin" is pretty cool Xavier...

wonder where i could get a drum machine (at least a software)? :D

13. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Sounds nice Dave, keep at it bro!

14. Unfortunately, one of Bach's most recognizable works, the Minuet in G, is not really by Bach. It was part of the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. According to the original manuscript facsimile I have, it was actually composed by Christian Petzold.

If you want to play some actual Bach, I recommend the Cello Suites. They are already in Bass clef and can be played as-written with a 6-string bass. 4 and 5-string basses would require some transposition.

I have some old audio clips of some Bach stuff on bass at http://www.jsbach.net/bass/

- Dave

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Sounds very cool!
    i picked some of your Mp3

i´m actually starting to like anything classical on bass, you can play for your grandma and still get an ovation (i don´t want to scare her with metal riffs :D)...

do you have transcriptions of your playing or sheet music scanned?

i would apreciate it very much

16. All the transcriptions are for 6-string bass. There are too many pages to scan. I have an old chromatic-fantasy transcription available for download at:
    http://www.unpronounceable.com/chromatic-fantasy.zip ( compressed tiff's at 300dpi )

It was never completed but goes farther than Jaco's version. I don't remember if the fingering is the same as what I played. My original transcription was done by hand.

I can send you a printed copy of the 1st Cello Suite transcription and I have an extra copy of the Cello Suites sheet music I can sell you. ( Baerenreiter edition ) Send me $15 and I'll send them both to you ( US only ).
    Or, $5 for just the transcription.

- Dave

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i´m in Mexico...
    but thanks for the offer...
    i still have to send the money to support of this site... :D

18. I can send to Mexico but it would cost a little more. I already printed the 1st Suite. Perhaps I'll scan it for you. I think I'll post a For Sale ad for the Cello Suites score. I have two copies of that edition.

- Dave

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ok...
    thanks!

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    don´t you think there should be a new forum where we could share MP3 and Videos?

i saw like 5 threads with "hear my band/see me/check my website/etc"

or maybe something like BassWars (i don´t know if anyone here is playing there) i can´t enter because i don´t have a valid E-mail (need an AOL)

what do you think?