Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All right, whats wrong with my comp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Dec 20, 2002.

1. The other night I turned on my computer, and before it really got to anything it gave me a message saying something like "There was an error starting up your computer." And then it gave me options likte "Start it in safe mode" and "Start it with last known working setting"...I think I choose the later.

The computer started up, but the display is all messed up, the colors are terrible, I checked the "Display" thing, and it said that my color quality was at the lowest (4 bit), and my resolution is 800 by 600. I can't change either of these settings.

So, whats wrong? I already ready ran Norton, and it turned up nothing, and since I am pretty computer illiterate, that is the only thing I know how to do. Any help?

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sounds like your OS is windows 95 or 98.

try starting in safe mode.

then do a SHUTDOWN or RESTART.

without knowing more info, that's the best I can suggest at this point.

f

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, that's right!

In safe mode your OS is running with the least possible load on your computer. It is for diagnostics purposes.

Give it a reboot, most likely it will be fine afterwards.

4. Sorry, I forgot to mention that i'm running XP. Anymore details I made need to provide?

Just to show the severity of the situation, this is a picture of yoshis pet tarantula molting as viewed on my computer (I hope the screen shot works):

[​IMG] [/IMG]

Now I want to see that damn spider! :D

5. Reboot didn't work :(

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Can you type out the entire error here? Try putting your XP disk in, booting up, when you get to the screen that asks you to install or repair, type R, type chkdsk at the c prompt, when it finishes, type exit and remove the CD. tell us what happens.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the RESTORE function in XP is pretty nice.

try that?

pick a day when you know your PC was working.

f

8. i cant remember exactly what to do, but its probaly due to your background picture, does your background have much color to it? first thing you should do is change it to the default background and then reboot. im not sure if it will work but i know that without taking your background off your hopeless.

9. sorry if im not much help but xp is totally different then any other windows program. i still dont know if i like it, its not as tightly webbed as 98 was:(

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Spankbass,

When you boot up in normal mode your display is tweaked, but everything else works normally?

11. Often

Often Guest

Oct 4, 2001
    Stockholm Sweden
    Try re-installing your graphics card and your monitor.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    First of all do not try to repair anything with the XP disc or anything like that.

Go to Settings-Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device Manager.

Click on the + next to "Display adapters", check if the driver listed there matches your display card.

If not, then download a new driver.
    If it matches, download a new driver anyway. There is a good chance that your display driver has been corrupted.

13. listen to icez, he knows whats going on

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh come on, XP's repair options actually work sometimes! If it's just a display issue sure, but if he's actually in safe mode it may be many things.

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nope, you can tell by the screenshot that he´s not in safe mode, check out the icons in the system tray. Most of them wouldn´t be there if the comp is in safe mode.

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    True.

So likely it is the video driver. Spanky, have you fixed that yet?

17. Since you chose last known working config, it probably reverted your settings back to a standard VGA driver. Choosing that option should only be used as a last resort. I would suggest downloading the latest video drivers for your card and reinstalling it.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good eye. I didn't look at it carefully enough!

19. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    you Corrupt video drivers. Re-install them and you should be fine :)

20. Well, before I wasnt able to look at any of these mesages since I posted teh screen shot, I took the advice of a friend, and did that whole system restore thing. Everything seemed like it was working fine until I tried to login, it gave me an error message saying some file was missing, and I wasn't able to get on.

So I had to clean out everything and start from new. Thats why i haven't been on in like a week. Right now I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get my DSL working (I'm on dialup right now).

But thanks for all the advice everyone!