1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All slapping sounds the same.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Discuss.

2. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Depends on who is playing.

Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Larry Graham all sound very different.

3. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    +1. Compare them to me, and you will hear the difference!!:oops: :(

4. There is a lot of slapping in 80's alternative that is 'non-traditional' - like in "Change" by Tear for Fears... Killer bassline, by the way... There was a smattering of bass players who slapped but used a tone that was 'non-slap' - not all bright and punchy... more dark, thick on the mids, heavily compressed and mean-sounding. I like it!

--tz

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You're an idiot

........ ;)

Claypool sounds like Marcus Miller who sounds like Fieldy?!

6. bobe

bobe

Dec 26, 2005
    rochester,ny
    Kai E has a sound that is way different sounding also

7. thats what i was going to add in...fieldy has a very different slap tone than claypool and wooten
    slapping can have the same tonal variety as fingerstyle, you just need to look a little deeper than two slap songs by the same guy...

of course you are talking about the actual composition of the notes, rather than tone...but i still stand by what i (or maybe matt till) said

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do you mean patterns or tone? Marcus has a VERY unique tone. Hell, it's even commonly referred to as the "Marcus sound". Same with Graham, his tone stood out as well.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think I both agree yet disagree at the same time. I definitely think that slapping is as standardized as a musical effect as, say for instance, a glissando is on a fretless. Where its used in a musical passage is often similar from case to case, particularly during wankish bass soloes :)hiding: ).

Seriously, there isn't a whole lot of difference in slapping on paper, but then again, that's like saying all music sounds the same because we all borrow on the same 12 pitch tones. This is where I disagree with you. I've heard many different takes on the slap thing, some vastly different, and some mere cookie cutter approximations of Victor Wooten, and have found something different in them all. Personally, I like slap in minimal doseage, like Hubert Eaves IV on Erykah Badu's live album. Freakin tasty.

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I guess I can see the point patern-wise, but I think it depends on the context and the player. I think lots of players use slap in an overly showy way and forget about how it works in a song context/musically. That ends up sounding the same to me. I love a great slap bassline though.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Hell yeah! I saw that tour, and he played effortlessly!

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

I always remind myself that when I slap, I'm emulating a guy (Larry Graham) who started to slap in order to make up for a lack of a drummer. This helps me keep it in perspective, and in the pocket. That and I remember Victor Wooten stating in an interview that he was really hyped by Tony Williams drum licks and wanted to tranlate that rythmic energy to the bass.

13. You are wrong - discuss.

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i saw that tour too and i loved it but,believe or not he got fired for "not having the right vibe"?!?!?!!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    WHAT?! :eyebrow: Meaning he wouldn't smoke weed and dress like an idiot? As much as I love Brother B, I preferred Hubert. You know has dad, Hubert Eaves III, was in D Train.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    From when I first started learning to slap (thump/pop), what grabbed me is how different a groove can feel between playing with fingerstyle (I use three-fingers) and slap.

One of the first songs I slapped (double-thumb/pop) all the way through was Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith (oops: exept the intro..), because I thought I grooved better that way. I even turned down the tone on the bass because I didn't want it to be evident from the tone that I was popping, but I really thought the bass grooved better with the kind of 'hand-dance' that was occuring with the slap style - especially the repeating refrain/bridge part that's between the verses, were I used a thumb-down, thumb-up, index-finger on the same string ("duppah duh, duppah duh-duppah duh-dah-dah!").

Joe

17. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it always sounds the same whenever I walk into a music shop and hear the Saturday morning heroes, thumbs ablaze, imagining they were Mark King like the 90's never happened

but in general, yeah it's a stupid thing to say... except when you hear someone doing slapping badly & tastelessly it's like being trapped in a room full of typewriters, I can see why people sometimes say stupid things about slapping

18. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    you damn right, it's kinda like bing bing ting while there's is like bonka tang bo bonka donka bang doink band wheaaaaaaaaa!:bassist:

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Not all slapping sounds the same. However, in most cases, it DOES sound tacky as hell.

20. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Hey Matt, what was it they used to call those horrible creatures that lived under bridges and loved to cause mayhem, but then moved to the internet? You don't think this might be one do you? :confused:

:bag: