All Star Albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No they are not a band, but I'm talking about those cd's where the pro's come together to do a one-time thing..

For example; Steve Bailey, Wooten and Dennis Chambers have a cd called Bass Extremes. I dig it, just for the bassplaying that is one it (and Chambers is an awesome drummer too), but musically (I'm talking about songs here) it starts to get boring after some tracks..If I look at the entire cd, it gets an A for bassplaying, but only a B for songs I guess..

I see a lot of these cd's for sale nowadays, another one was Stu Hamm, Steve Smith and a guitarplayer... now what cd's out there are really worth buying, have some really nice tracks on them, and which are more wanking than good music?
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Some years ago, I bought many Cd of that kind.
    Bass Extremes, GHS (Gambale, Hamm, Smith)
    Vital Tech Tones (Wooten, Henderson, Smith), Manring/McGill/Stevens, CAB and many more.

In most of them I find great musicians, great individual performances, but many compositions leave me a bit empty.
    Most of those albums where composed and recorded within a tight time schedule, so the final result is something understandable.

My favourite one keeps being "LTE I & II". I find it refreshing and original, plus the final result ended up in a new Dream Theater.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like The Stranger's Hand w/ Oteil, Howard Levy, Jerry Goodman, & Steve Smith(?)...I guess Smith should get props for being a major force in support of these projects; I just don't happen to be a big fan of his(not yet).
    In the '80s, Smith also had an project/album called The Players w/ Jeff Berlin, Scott Henderson, & T. Lavitz.
    There's also a Steps Ahead 'All-Star' version w/ Smith...add Darryl Jones, Mike Stern, Maneri, & Mike Brecker.
    Steve Smith is everywhere!

Another 'All-Star' project slightly related is the Live At The Baked Potato w/ Vinnie, Abe Laboriel, Gregg Mathieson, & Mike Landau.

Also, anything with Willis & DC should be "OK", too.