1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ALL - STAR REVIEW OF ACOUSTIC BOX II Coming Up

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, May 29, 2018.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Acoustic Box II.jpg

I just received the brand-new Vintage-Revolution Acoustic Box II Preamp from Max De Iulis in the Netherlands.

I'm going to play with it for a while (spending some time with the manual - https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/efefd6_33930facd38c4896b2a86e3dea8b5b61.pdf ) and will then be sending it on to our ALL-STAR group of reviewers, including:

Chris Fitzgerald
    Adam Booker
    Mike Arnopol
    Tom Bowlus, and
    Ric Vice

I'm going to include the Chuck Israels Signature Mic along with the 'Abox' so these reviewers can check them both out, individually and together.

Much more to follow on this as I (and we) explore the many features of this new Pre-amp.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, I made Rick wait forever (sorry, Rick!), but I just uploaded a new series spinoff called "Review Desk" where I played the Abox together with both the LaScala and the new Kolstein Busetto, and A/B'd it against the Sansamp Para Driver DI for comparison.

Some may be disappointed that I ran both units flat except for the HP filter in this video, but that's basically how I test new gear these days. I'm taking both the Busetto and the Abox out to the "proving ground" (i.e. - Nachbar, a primal scream chordless trio with two aggressive monster musicians), and looking forward to the fun! Rest assured that on the gig I will use more of the EQ options the Abox has to offer.

Here is the index for the video:

0:00 Series Introduction
    0:46 Kolstein Busetto Travel Bass
    1:53 Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box II
    2:35 New Standard LaScala Hybrid
    3:26 Sansamp Para Driver DI
    4:05 Review parameters for comparison
    5:43 Sound Clip: LaScala plus Sansamp
    7:20 Sound Clip: LaScala plus Abox II
    8:56 Sound Clip: Kolstein Busetto plus Sansamp
    10:35 Sound Clip: Kolstein Busetto plus Abox II
    12:13 Conclusions and discussion
    22:16 Links

I will copy a link to the video in the Kolstein thread as well. Don't rat me out to the mods! :D

All Three, Seanto and Tom Lane like this.
  3. rickwolff

Chris, Thanks for the great video!

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chris,

Wow, nice bass, great playing, susinct explanations. and that CM3 works dandy dosen't it. Just got mine. :roflmao:

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks Ric(k). :)

The CM3 mics are my current go to for a stereo pair, and also perfect for a dual mono application like this. My only regret is that I haven’t figured out a way to demonstrate the true blended sound in the room. I think that mixing an acoustic and amplified sound is an art form. The amplified sound should be a little too thick and wooly and slightly compressed, and the acoustic sound provides the air on top - just like mixing a mic and pickup live. I guess live gig recordings are as close as I’m ever going to get!

Ric Vice and Tom Lane like this.
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Geez... Vintage much? This looks like it was last used during the filming of "Das Boot"!
    Sorry to torpedo this thread.
    Subbed.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  7. rickwolff

Well Don, some of us prefer analog-type knobs vs menu-driven (menu-hidden) functions.

And by the way, the designer is a scientist with the European Space Agency so it's probably more ''das rocket'.

8. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Hey!..Is that a Metronome built into Das Gizmo????? ("Tempo", "+,-")
    Please Gear-'Splain this portion of the panel, Please.
    Thanks.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Don,
    It’s a digital effects display pannel.

Don Kasper likes this.
  10. rickwolff

Come on, Don. You know you want to try it. Just say the word and I'll send it out to you.

(I bet J.B. has one. 'ENOUGH')

Tom Lane and Don Kasper like this.
  11. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

The bass and both pedals sound great. I agree with your final assessment.

I would love, however, to hear some Arco through these boxes. Lol. Last thing you probably want to hear after putting in all of that hard work. Just a suggestion, not a criticism.

BTW- Your tone, touch and feel are fantastic!

Thanks, Chris.

12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chris,
    I have the solution. It's only $8,212.00 US S_kfm6_2.jpg :roflmao::woot: S_kfm6_2.jpg

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Michael - Thanks! I promise you that you don't want me to play arco through any preamp or amp, ever. With a bow in my hand I can make any bass, preamp, or amp sound like :poop:. It's a gift!

@Ric Vice - I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at in that pic. Should I be scared?:bag:

MDrost1 likes this.
  14. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Not scared. Salivating.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What is it?

16. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Aww man, if I didn’t have a meeting to attend, I’d be all over this. Thanks, Chris! Looking forward to sitting down later and checking this out!

17. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    MAKEUP!! More rouge, less liner!

18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Is there a version without the digital effects?

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri