Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All-State Jazz Audition

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dirk, Sep 30, 2000.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys,
    In about two weeks I'm going to be auditioning for the Louisiana All-State Jazz band. This is my question, to some of the more experienced players. When you're listening to someone play their scales, what do you look for? Tone, technique, speed, intonation? I know all of my scales and can play them perfectly from memory in the circle of fifths pattern starting on C. It just seems like that relative tuning wouldn't be a big concern for bass scales, given the nature of the instrument. And as a brass player I've always tongued up and slurred down the scale. Slurring is impossible on bass, so you would you play detached up and legato down? Just some concerns I have before I go and try out. I just wouldn't want to make a fool of myself since I've never had a bass audition before.

Dirk

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Dirk,
    I think most juries look for legato and even. If you play all your scales evenly and cleanly you will do fine.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. cliff the 2nd

cliff the 2nd

Oct 1, 2000
    that depends on the style of the etudes.
    On most of the styles, you don't need to worry about notes to much. Unless your amazingly fast, rythms are what will make a jazz solo sound good. If you put your rythms in right and throw in some accent, it'll be cool
    If you go for fast scale stuuf, I'd stay legato

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'd like to clarify that the audition will consist of the 12 major scales, and the chromatic scale 2 octaves.

3 jazz etudes, one as written, one as written for the first and third choruses, and a walking line over the second and fourth choruses, and the third you play the first chorus as written and improvise over chorus 2 and 3. And also, I'm not certain, but there could be sightreading.

I'm confident on the rhythms and everything about my reading, and improvising skills, but I'm concerned about my walking and the scales. Also it sounds crazy, but I'm worried the EQ on the tryout amp will be screwed and I won't sound as good. Those are my main concerns. Thanks for your input and everything.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well,
    Yesterday was the audition for the All-State Jazz band. I went in and played my stuff, really well, I felt like. I only messed up a few times, but I didn't make it. It's ok though because I'm kind of inexperienced and I'm sure some of those cats could really play well. I also auditioned for the band and orchestra on trombone and was chosen second on trombone for orchestra. I really kicked ass on that music. Anyway, thanks for your feedback and next year I'm going to try out again and hopefully I will have a better shot at it.

Dirk

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Congratulations on making it through the audition!! The experience will certainly help you out for next year. I'd also like to say you seem to have a very good attitude! Keep up the good work! :D

7. VicMan119

VicMan119

Oct 19, 2000
    I hear that!!! I'm in a rut too, I have all-state MA coming in about 3 weeks. My technical level is really high, I can do practically anything, know my scales, pretty solid on modes and.....walking bass is the new thing to me.boo! I just switched to a school that finally offered good theory (my old one had nada)and a couple days ago I praised bass player magazine, glenn letsch had a beginning walking bass article in woodshed. But I'm still way behind....help! If any of you jazz cats can offer some advice, or recommend a source, I'd be THANKFUL!! I really want to make it in, it would be a learning experience, a great one.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think bassists coming from rock/pop are always surprised at how hard it actually is to play a convincing and interesting walking line in Jazz - it seems so easy and relaxed when you see/hear an experienced Upright player doing it, you can't believe how much goes into this.

My experience is that you can read loads of books and know all about the theory, but the problem is thinking that quickly and keeping on top of all that is going past you. You have to be thinking ahead and I find that this usually means that it is easier if you have memorised the tune or rather the changes, so you don't have to keep referring to a chart. As soon as you have to look down on a fast song, you have lost it.

The only way to get better at this is, I find, is to play regularly with other people, so that you get used to having to play lines over changes at speed and also integrate your playing with what other people are doing - responding to them and coming up with new lines in a musical context - almost impossible just practising on your own.

9. VicMan119

VicMan119

Oct 19, 2000
    yeah...I hear that. Thank you very much for your advice. The only thing that sucks is that the walking comp. is impromptu, it's a sightreading thing that we have to play right off the bat. Oh well, if I don't make it, at least I'll have a year to practice it! Thanks again Bruce