All that I wanted to do was watch Football!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Dec 15, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    (Warning: Long and annoying post)

My girlfriend and I live together. We have no need to television other than the VCR/DVD player attached to it. Occassionally, we'll rent a film and watch it. Other than that, we simply do not have television. In other words, when you turn the television on, you get snow. White noise, that's it. Our friends don't understand this, "What do you mean, you don't get television?" "What do you mean, you don't have cable?"

We just simply don't. No reason for it. We're better off without it. Most people here just complain about what's on it anyway.

So, football season is starting. (This was back in August mind you). I like football. Rather, I LOVE football. I really get caught up in it. I love to watch the games, (and kids, we're talking about American football). So, I decide it's worth the $40 a month to get the local channels and ESPN so that I can watch the games, highlights, and news. I like football so much, it's worth $40 a month for 5 months.

I call AT&T Broadband Cable Services. They set me up with a deal where I need a cable box and it's about $37 a month to get the cable channels and they throw in some other channels I could care less about.

Everything is fine for two months. Then, I have to move from Wine Country back to San Francisco. All hell breaks loose.

I call and I confirm with the guy my plans. I call two weeks in advance and tell him the day to discontinue my service at my current address, and which day to begin service at the new place. He says, "Cool, no problem, take the cable box with you, plug it in when you move in, you're set."

My girlfriend loves two stations, Animal Planet and TLC. I ask if we'll still have those two stations. "Yes, definitely," he says, probably with a straight face.

So, they turn off our cable that night. First mistake. We're not moving for two weeks.

So I call back, they send someone out the next day to turn the cable back on, and they tell me I'm set.

I move. It's Saturday. Football is on Sunday. I'm off, no work. I'm excited.

No cable.

I call.

"Well, we'll have to send someone out. I can schedule an appointment window of 12pm - 5pm on Thursday."

"But that's four days away," I say. "I want to watch football tomorrow. I did what the guy said, he told me he took care of it."

"Well, how about sooner, I'm busy on Thursday. Can we do Monday?"

"No, can't get someone that quick."

"Well, you guys are the ones who gave me wrong info."

"Okay, we'll see what we can do. We'll call you."

Monday, no call.
    Tuesday, no call.
    Wednesday, I call them. They say they'll come in the morning the next day.

Now, let's take a moment and talk about "appointment windows." They say that they'll be there within a 5 hour window. You're expected to wait for them. Could you imagine doing that with your own appointments? "Hi doctor, this is your patient Adam, I need to schedule a physical. No big whoop. I'll be there Monday sometime between 8am and noon, whatever's convenient you know." "Hi, I need to schedule a tooth cleaning, I'll be there sometime between today and Saturday, I'll expect the dentist to be waiting!"

So on Thursday the guy comes, hooks up TV, and says that no, we don't get Animal Planet or TLC, often the sales guys just lie to you, he says, to tell you what you want to hear.

The next week I get my closing bill from my old address. They're charging me $300 for failure to return my old cable box. (The technician that installed my cable had taken it with him).

I call. They're going to research it. It will take a week. They'll call me.

They never call me.

One morning, two weeks ago, some AT&T technicians came to our building to do some work. Presumably for another tenant, as we had nothing scheduled. When they left the cable didn't work. Funny, it works fine until AT&T shows up.

I call.

They'll send someone in two days.

"But I want to watch football. It's the whole reason I have your serivce. Today is Saturday, if you come on Monday or Tuesday, there is no more football."

Yesterday, there was a storm. Knocked out cable. It's been over 28 hours without it. I'm off today, Sunday, football day, no work. There's snow on my TV.

Football season is 17 weekends plus 5 weekends for the playoffs. I've missed 5 now, with 3 regular season weeks to go, because of AT&T.

Please, never ever go to AT&T Broadband for cable.

2. Bwahahaha

I'm Sorry...

3. Damn. See if there is a 1-800 national number to call. Don't hang up until you get someone important, and lay into them. Curse their families and choice of hair style.

I mean, what's the worst they'll do? Cancel your cable service? Haven't they been so dissapointing that you'd rather not have it? Got some friends/bar you can go to? Prolly better there anyway.

Me? I'd light some fires and burn down city hall (Tenacious D). Then I'd lead as a king.
  4. One thing I've learned from working at a movie theater is: The louder and more obnoxious you complain, the more likely someone will give you what you want and send you on your way.
  5. Not with the cable company. They'll hang up on you while you wait to speak to a supervisor. I hate the cable company. And I've worked for a few of them, years ago. They don't care about anything else but payday. What are you gonna do? Get a dish? They suck too!

I hate the cable company. We got Cox Communications and they have VERY poor customer service.

I hate the cable company.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, in your case, i'd just go to a sports bar to watch the game, and go to for highlights and whatnot.
  7. What's wrong with broadcast football?
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    dude, if you hate the idiot box for everything except the divine gift that is football, cancel, and watch it @ the bar!

c'mon: $37 on cable you don't watch, or $37 on drinks you'll drink?

unless you don't drink....or don't like sports bars....
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Just got back from the Sportsbar.

I have complained, and they've given me some things, like $60 in credits for inconvenience, and upgraded my package, (tee hee). But I don't like the hassle. I just want to be able to watch football at home. I can't always go to the sports bars because I often work, and will record a particular game or two I like to watch.

Cable's still not on. NFL Primetime is on right now. My Cowboys lost REAL bad today.

Today sucks.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Another satified customer of the MAN.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...can I say that out loud?
  12. *sigh* As far as I know, Satellites are better. But we had one when I was little, so I have no clue how much of a hassle it was...installation is a pain, I'm sure.
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So the consensus is that their is no answer?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    basically thats the consensus

apart from my cable provider beign kind of slow(menus and such) we don't have many problems....we have digital cable something like 150 channels only a few are worth is pretty overrated but how else am I supposed to watch the simpsons, Conan, and techtv?

satalite is pretty good, its reliable and once your up and running its easy to forget about....however for your situation(temporary want of TV to watch football) its a bigger hassle to get a satalite than cable(though your experience was so bad that I could be wrong in your case)
  15. Am I missing something? Why do you need cable to watch football?
  16. I think thats OK, just don't switch the words.

Call cable at late at night. I don't know about were you live Jazzbo but in MA the only way to get stuff fixed is to call them at midnight.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    At$t is the only game in town up here. Most incompetent boobs I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Check your bill BTW, they steal very creatively. I'm at a running total of $150 credit. Yes, I do keep track.

Edit: Jazzbo, I saw that Cowboys game, it was gruesome.
  18. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    As much as I would like to offer some sort of sympathy.

I also find this incredibly amusing. :p

That does really suck though. I'd be kicking some ATT ass if I were you. Boo yah.
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Man, they's always tryin' to drown my skeelo. Bitches.
  20. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, that really stinks. least you can get cable though, i live to far away from everything to get it, not that i would watch it though. i have my simpsons, conan o'brian, and the occasional pittsburgh riverhounds soccer game, and i'm happy as can be.