1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All the different Stingray nut widths, what gives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Apr 2, 2013.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I was just looking at the new Sterling line of basses and noticed the nut width and started looking at all the different ray models they offer (See below). I have not owned a stingray in a long time but thought the US model was wider than what they claim. Does anyone know if these measurments are correct? I will tell you I would love to get another stingray but cannot afford a US model but then I look at the other options and I would want the standard Ray34 with the narrower nut width. It just seems wierd to me that they would make the Ray34 CL have the narrower neck when it is the model based off the classic design and the new Ray34 has the wider neck and it seems to be wider than the US model. Just wanted to rant and rave.

EB Stingray 41.3mm

EB Stingray SLO 38.1mm

Sterling Ray34 43mm

Sterling ray34 CL 38mm

Sub ray 38mm

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The US model is 1 5/8". I don't know what that translates to in mm.

The SLO is 1 1/2".

No clue about the imports

3. I don't think any of the parts are identical between the SBMM and MIA instruments. For example an EBMM Stingray pick guard will not fit an SBMM and vice versa. I think there may be good reason for this.

The SBMM Ray34CA and the SBMM Sub both have the narrower Sterling type neck width at the nut (as does the Ray SLO Special - however not to be confused with a Sterling neck which has more frets and a five bolt rather than six bolt neck joint).

One further point - the EBMM Stingray and SLO Special have compensated nuts - none of the others, or the Stingray Classic have this type.

A used Ray is a good value purchase currently, so maybe that is the route to take if you want one.

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I really love the nice chunky neck of the SLO made Rays , it feels much like the Pbasses from the early 60's , before they narrowed the neck on the tv logos in 69 .

5. The Sub (usa made) is the same nut width as contemporary USA made Stingrays.
    I can't speak on the SBMM Sub, I've not even seen one.
    And really with all the words in the English language, why does Sterling Ball insist on re-using the same model names in such a confusing fashion?
    Sterling by Musicman Sub?
    Sub by Musicman?
    Musicman Sterling?
    Musiman Sub Sterling?

6. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    They need to make a classic with a 1.5 nut just for me.

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Ray34 CA has a 1.5" nut. 38mm = 1.4960629921". This is also true for the fretless version.

A Classic Stingray 4 has a 1 5/8" nut.

A standard Ray34 has a 1.6929133858" nut and a Stingray 4 has a 1 5/8" nut.

Bob

8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I wish they would make the standard ray34 with 1.5 neck then that would be the perfect budget stingray on the market to me anyway. I like finish option the contoured body and 3 band eq over the cl version. Come on sterling give us a ray34 SLO!

9. they can't make the SBMM basses too good, they don't want to discourage folks from buying the real thing!
    I just wish the EBMM classic Sterling had the coil switching of the normal Sterling.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The thing you have to remember is the imports are not from Ernie Ball. It's a very nice licensed copy from a different company.