Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All these basses...but any uniqueness in tone??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 19, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Pedulla, Ken Smith, Warwick, Ibanez, Carvin, Yamaha, Lakland, MTD, Spector, Mike Lull, Wal, G&L, Hartke, Washburn, Peavey, Sadowsky, Jackson, Brian Moore, Cort, Warrior, Modulus, ESP, Dean, Aria, Ritter, Bolin, DiPinto, Marleaux, Read, Kinal, A basses, Status, Fabregues, Roscoe, Conklin, Simpson-James, Zon, Fury, Elrick, Fodera,...

All these bass makers that make soap-bar pickup config. basses obviously sound a bit different from one another. But what I want to know is if there is any SIGNIFICANT difference between them. By significant I mean like a Rickenbacker vs. a Fodera played back by the bridge. I want to set the record straight, about 'originality of tone'.

(and please don't tell me if I left some maker out)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1. they don't all use the same types of soapbars in thier basses
    2. They don't all use the same type of woods for the neck body
    3. some don't use wood at all
    4. they don't all use the same pre amp
    5. they don't use the same material in thier hardware, i.e. bridge, nut, tuners
      [/list=1] I don't understand what you're looking to "set straight" but play what you love & love what you play. :)

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I'm just saying that there are a ton of bass makers out there, and wondering who has done anything original in the bass world. Like I said, Rickenbacker, that was an original bass. Has anyone else done anything to put them apart from the crowd....that's what I'm asking.

4. Bass players as a rule want a tone that's "theirs", but not something that's too far out of the court, which is why there are the existing parameters that basically all stem from a 1951 Fender bass. Uniqueness tends to come from the player, not the instrument, the most classic case of this being Jaco Pastorius. He used equipment readily available to anyone, but had the most unique sound in all of bassdom.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wishnevsky basses are unique. Their have been alot of threads on talkbass about them.

Also Spalt Matrix is makins alot of weird shaped basses.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what NB said...

You're opening Pandora's box here mon frere...

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm....Let's see:
    Graphite necks, composite necks, Rockwood necks, Lightwave pickups, MIDI, Roland VBass, pickup placement, hollow, semi-hollow, scale length, tone blocks, 2-Tec bridges, piezos....

I don't know if the problem is that the options aren't there, or if that you simply don't see what is out there that's different.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, a Ric was an original... a long, long time ago.

My Elrick doesn't sound like any other bass I own. Neither does my MTD. My Brubaker really has it's own thing happening, in addition to being able to cop some signature sounds. Three for three.

What are you looking for? bassmonkeee covered a bunch of things in the previous post.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm not sure what your point is. If your point is that they're all good basses, then I guess your right. To say that each of them sound the same because of their pickup size is ludicrous. I'm not sure what the others think, but I choose to buy basses because I like the sound whether that sound is unique or not. I have several of those basses that you mentioned, and I can say for sure that there is a big differrence betwwen their sounds.