Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All these special edition DVDs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 14, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good grief! I was just at Best Buy and I noticed what seems to be a record number of new special edition rerelease DVDs out. I kind of poked around and some of them seem to be worthwhile but some don't seem all that special.

Off the top of my head I can remember:

Snatch - Superbit Deluxe edition (these usually have great sound mixes)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion Collection (wouldn't mind having that one!)
    The Fifth Element and Leon ultimate editions
    Naked Lunch Criterion
    Ok..I saw a lot more but now it's escaping me. There were a lot of deluxe editions rereleases of movies that were 5 or more years old. I don't know maybe some of these have been out a long time and I just never noticed it but it seemed like everywhere I looked tonight there were rereleased "deluxe" and "special" edition DVD.

Some of them I'd really like to have (but probably won't ever buy because of the high prices) but c'mon...did Showgirls really need a "VIP Edition""?! Will anyone buy that? Will anyone ADMIT to buying that? I never saw that movie but wasn't it supposedly one of the worst movies ever?

What's next...Gigli Criterion Collection?

Personally tonight I just raided the $5.99 shelf and came away with the classic comic gem "Top Secret!" :D

brad cook

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Aren't they all, "Special Edition"?

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I very rarely buy the special edition, the most exception being the LOTR series. If Cabin Boy had a special edition, I would have grabbed that in a heart beat.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The thing I often look at when buying a special edition is if it has, say, a DTS soundtrack when the old one only had Dolby Digital or something...although I do like to pore through all the extras and whatnot. I watched Elf all the way through the other day with the Infinifilm popups and Will Ferrell's commentary on. :)

The LOTR Extended Editions are the best special editions ever!

brad cook

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's like the "Special Edition" syndrome that affects record companies, they just can't resist milk the cow. Disney's pulling the old trick with the Lion King where they're "putting it back in the vault" and everyone should hurry and get it before they're all gone. :eyebrow:

I've seen Showgirls, at first I too, couldn't believe how laughably bad it was. But there was also the sense of purpose behind the badness...like it was intended. It was directed by the same guy who did Starship Troopers and Robocop, so I think there's more to it than meets the eye. Now, though, it's being marketed as a camp film, like Rocky Horror or Plan 9.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Deluxe editions, director's cuts, and all that are exhibiting what I call Antiques Roadshow Syndrome. That is when every piece of crap in someone's basement/attic is transformed into some sort of saleable commodity. They prove that any questionable cinematic effort can have two lives if you keep all the stuff that ended up on the editing room floor and save it. Then, you get to make inane comments about how it lent itself to your great visionary landscape.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    fear and loathing criterion is worth it! amazing work that thing is. Naked Lunch was just ridiculuous... is there even a point to that movie? damn canucks!

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    You've got great taste in movies. Snatch is one of my favorites. Pick up the Fear and Loathing DVD. Gilliam is a genius. I have yet to see Naked Lunch, but David Cronenburg is always completely original. Definitely a bassist's director...

I tried to find the novel of Naked Lunch by William S. Burrows at Barnes & Noble, but they were out. I'm anxious to read the book as well as see the movie.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, back when DVDs were on the way up, I think 'special edition' got tagged onto nearly everything mainly because DVDs were the special edition, where VHS tapes were the regular edition.

But by now, I think it's just become a way of making money.

10. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Have you read any Burroughs before?

If not, get ready for a brain **** of biblical proportions.

11. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That book will be my first. I've read reviews of it and I'm ready! :D

12. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I had to reread the beginning of the book something like 3 times, it can be kind of confusing. Granted, though, I was 16 at the time and hadn't read anything that challenging before.

Definately one of the most difficult and abrasive books I've ever read, also the primary reason why I avoid hard drugs (along with my severe fear of needles)

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just looked through my DVD's; a lot more of them than I thought said "special edition". --this leads me to believe they just tag it on there in the hopes that people will think they are getting more than they saw in the theater, and that sometimes the SE is the only edition.

14. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh how I hate those! :smug:

I heard about this book after learning about the films of David Cronenburg and I think I'm ready for the challenge. I'm only 17 (plus some months), so I hope it makes the tiniest bit of sense. :D I hear you on the Anti-Drug stance too. Stay healthy!

15. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Just be aware: the narrative changes from 1st to 3rd a lot, that's the thing that confused me the most.

16. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh. Thanks for telling me. I don't know if I would have figured that out on the first read. I guess only time will tell. Anywho, I'm off to bed. It's late on the east coast. :smug:

17. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The special edition DVD of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (only DVD version available AFAIK) costs $40, and it doesn't seem to include much. You'd think there's an inverse relation between price and age, but when you throw a fancy title on it all the rules go out the window.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually I have noticed that a lot of special edition DVDs DO also have a regular edition to match. Check out one of the DVD sales pages if you have a few. I can tell you that this 40th Anniversary Edition of Mary Poppins is worth it. :smug: If you've never heard "A spoonful of sugar" in 5.1 then you haven't lived.

brad cook

19. I got one ill bet none of you have heard of: The Day the Earth Stood Still. Classic 50s alien movie, probaly the best science fiction film ever made. The special edition shocked me cause all i had was it taped offa AMC. But I got it on Dvd now with all those special features.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just purchased The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: SE. Definitely worth it.

I have the regular edition Fear and Loathing so I won't be re-buying that one.