All things being equal, Squier Jazz or SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eljuapo, Jun 4, 2003.

1. So, what do you think?

I have the option of buying a Squier Jazz at a local music shop for the same price I can buy the basic Essex Jazz bass for. Which would you go with?

(note: price is $129 so it's around the same)
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    It probably does not really matter. I'd get the squier... because you are going to have to pay an exra $30 for shipping and handling.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Look at the reviews for the Essex. Those = :D

Look at the reviews for the Squier. Those = :meh:
  4. I think I may go for the SX because there is more options in color and such.

Any other opinions are welcome though.
  5. Where was the Squier produced? I happen to be impressed with the ones made in Indonesia. If it's Chinese, though, I'd take the SX over the Squier.
  6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    the Sx seems to be thought of better than squire. I'd choose that over the squire. more choices :)if it were me, it'd be the SX
  7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Sx, because I have tried both. Not to much difference, but I feel the essex to be some what sturdier, and they have alot of cool options color wise.
  8. I'd go with the Squier, because it might have a better resale value???????:meh: couldn't the squier and sx be made in the same factory in China? I played a squier P-bass special that was just as nice as any fender out there..:meh:
  9. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    last week i traded in my MEXICAN j-bass for a SQUIER jazz bass and it was the best trade i've made yet, the newer INDONESIAN squiers are very well made. mine is a dark blue w/ matching h-stock and no p-gaurd(it came new like that)and it looks and sounds better than my MEXICAN ever did ! yes there are some crappy models but with a little investigating you to can find a diamond in the ruff.ever consider a japanese SQUIER ? they are just as good as some of the better model fenders and at a good price, they look and sound like their higher end brothers without a hefty price tag.
    good luck:bassist:
  10. I think that the Rondo instruments are made in their warehouse.

I'd go for the SX, judging by the reveiws! I've only played one good Squire, and it was a modded japanese bass. :)

try them both out.. see how you feeel. :)
  11. Unfortunately I cannot try out an SX before buying. I have yet to try the Squier I saw but since it's at the music store next to the place I go for lessons I'll probably try it next time I'm there. Remember, the Squire I'm talking about is in the store, and there's only one of them so I can't choose color or whatever.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would buy an SX and here's why.

Kurt, who works for the music store that imports them, is a presence here on Talkbass. He listens to what the Talkbass crowd asks about and specs out his instruments based on our input. That in my opinion is fantastic customer service that deserves to be rewarded by purchasing.

Kurt has commented here on how he's had to reject shipments or sell tham as "B-Stock" because they did not meet his standards. When people have bought the discounted basses they have commented that the "defects" were very minor. This tells me that the standards for SX are very high.

Not that Squeir standards are low, mind you. The Squers I've played have been very good. However, I like the fact that Kurt and Rondo are a smaller outfit instead of a big company like Fender. Once again, don't get me wrong, I own and enjoy Fender products.

Basically, after all my long winded response, the bottom line is that you'll be satisfied with either bass. They're both quality instruments at a rock bottom price.
  13. No. Asia.

On second thought, I'd go for a Squier. Both my Essex and Brice had numerous problems (returned them both)
  14. no.. all the parts that make the Rondo Music SX/Brice basses/guitars are made in China. Then they are assembled at the Rondo place. This makes for cheaper and easyier shipping for Rondo and then they pass the savings on to the customer......I bet that the only thing Rondo has to do it screw the neck on and install the strings.??.I like the the look of some of the SX's. I have never seen or played one so I really couldn't compare the two. plus there are many levels to the Squier line of first they were made in the US then Japan, korea, China, Indo,ect. it's best to play the bass before you buy.... good luck with whatever you choose....
  15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, I got my essex yesterday, a fretless jazz, and it r0x0rz :cool: I love it to death already. I love the sound, I love the look, I love it!
  16. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would recommend that you go for the SX. It just has a killer reputation around here.
  17. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I'd say go with the SX. It's made of alder, which is the most common used wood in even basses costing hundreds more. They, IMO come in better colors, you can get one in fretless. Also, if you have any problems just tell Kurt and he'll help you out.

Good luck!

(And i think it's silly to buy a standard current squier based on re-sale value, but that's just me.)
  18. Man, thanks a bunch guys!

I know the majority of people on the Essex MEGATHREAD have had good experiences, but I've just heard of one of you that had a bad one. Are there any others out there that had a less than stellar experience with an SX Jazz? Or an SX at all?
  19. odie

odie Supporting Member

There 70's B stock with block inlays that they had not to long ago has a strange vibe.

The pups are way to shallow, the neck is to low from the body. Its hard to slap because there is very little room, just kinda strange. A shim job would help. But it would have to be pretty high.