1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All Things Must Beat. Please share your Beatles stories, comments, insights or anything Beatles!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rumble Thunder, Jun 10, 2018.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Here’s what Wikipedia says about the Beatles on Vee Jay.

Vee-Jay Records - Wikipedia

Vee-Jay's biggest successes occurred from 1962 to 1964, with the ascendancy of the Four Seasons and the distribution of early Beatles material ("From Me to You" b/w "Thank You Girl," "Please Please Me" b/w "From Me to You," and "Do You Want to Know a Secret" b/w "Thank You Girl" via Vee-Jay;[1]and "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You" and "Twist and Shout" b/w "There's a Place" via its subsidiary Tollie Records), because EMI's autonomous United States company Capitol initially refused to release Beatles records.[5][6][7][8] Vee-Jay's releases were at first unsuccessful, but quickly became huge hits once the British Invasion took off in early 1964, selling 2.6 million Beatles singles in a single month. Cash flow problems caused by Ewart Abner's tapping the company treasury to cover personal gambling debts led to the company's active demise; Vee-Jay had been forced to temporarily cease operations in the second half of 1963, leading to royalty disputes with the Four Seasons and EMI. The Four Seasons then left Vee-Jay for Philips Records, and EMI's Capitol Records picked up the U.S. rights for both the Beatles and Frank Ifield.

2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I can tell you where I was when I heard my first Beatle song and when I heard "Come Together" the first time.

Rumble Thunder and nixdad like this.
  3. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Rumble Thunder likes this.
  4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

Rumble Thunder likes this.
  5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    The Beatles were already in self-destruct mode by the time I was born, but, the cartoon was still being broadcast in my area up until the time I entered kiddie-garten. By the time I was 4, I think I knew all the lyrics to half a dozen Beatles tunes. I couldn't count to ten, but I had 'Penny Lane' and 'Day Tripper' indelibly burned into my brain.

Rumble Thunder and RedVee like this.
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the kind comments regarding the video!

Unfortunately, I never talked with my grandparents about The Beatles (I wish I had at some point before they passed away.)

I've owned 2 late 60's Hofners at different times in the 80's, but did not have either one for long as far as I recall. Being in a Beatles band I thought I would add the violin bass vibe, so I ordered a German Hofner a year or so ago to use along with my Ric. However, I have to admit I HATED it, and returned it the next day. The neck was very narrow and very round (which was not comfortable for me at all.) I did not like the overall feel - it felt like it would break in my hands (and I'm easy on gear.) It was also so lightweight, I feared it would easily blow off a guitar stand if there was any sort of breeze (most of our gigs are outdoor gigs.) It was not for me. I already have a semi-hollow Fender Starcaster (which I love and sounds awesome) if I need a hollow-body vibe.

She Loves You is on our setlist, but Please Please Me is not (not for any particular reason.) We have 4-5 hours of material to draw from, so there is no shortage.

Here's a sample setlist for a 3 hour gig:
    Fab 8 Friday Night Live May 2018 PNG p1. Fab 8 Friday Night Live May 2018 PNG p2. Fab 8 Friday Night Live May 2018 PNG p3.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    GregC, RedVee, Rumble Thunder and 2 others like this.
  7. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    So who was the Einstein at Capital Records who nixed the Beatles?? Did he/she lose their job? That is a decision that a person would regret infinitum (if that is a word) :facepalm: I can't imagine having to live with that!
    Wow, thanks for sharing that info. All my Beatle records were on the Capital label, I didn't know Vee -Jay ever existed.

8. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Isn't it wild how people remember where they were when they heard that first Beatle song?
    I think that's awesome.
    I remember seeing The 1976 film Sgt Pepper with Peter Frampton...wait , maybe it was 1979 but anyway I remember Steven Tyler and Joe Perry rocking Come Together! It was pretty cool. I was maybe 12 or 14 and it struck me that the Beatles and particularly Lennon was way ahead of the curve. The movie was fairly cheesy from what I remember. I think the Bee Gees were in it?

nixdad likes this.
  9. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    nixdad and RedVee like this.
  10. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Ok, that video was killer!
    I like where John and Paul are communicating something to each other in the middle of the song? Maybe John missed a chord? Lol George looks so young, too. Ringo seems like he's having fun. I can't recall what album that was from? It probably was released as a single first. I'm a little rusty on some of their material.
    I remember dad had a fishing buddy who would always sing that song. The problem was he didn't know any of the words except "Hey Jude!" So it got annoying...all you would ever hear was the hey Jude and then silence. Then a few minutes later and "Hey Jude." Over and over and over again. Crazy.
    Good song, fun video!

nixdad and RedVee like this.
  11. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    That's awesome!
    You couldn't count to ten but you knew Day Tripper :roflmao: it took you so long to find out (how to count) but you found out! Awesome, man. Penny Lane is top notch as well. Thanks for posting.

nixdad and ONYX like this.
  12. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Man, these set lists ROCK. I think set three is my favorite but it is a hard call. I have never heard anyone attempt to do, "It Won't Be Long." I would love to hear that one especially with all the yeahs. Thanks for posting these set lists! Fascinating stuff.
    Man, I was fooling around in a music store one day and they had a Fender StarCaster on the wall. I was intrigued so I pulled it down and plugged it in. Man, that thing was a beast! I couldn't believe it. We're talking serious MoJo. If I ever consider getting a Hollow body--that's the one. It rocks hard and takes names! What tunes do you use it on?

nixdad likes this.
  13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    It must be fun to do the Help era stuff. You're Gonna Lose That Girl is a favorite you never hear much; musically pretty interesting too. Love that period, and you guys do sound great!

nixdad and Rumble Thunder like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! With 7 members overall (of which 6 are vocalists,) we have the personnel to cover all of the harmonies and ancillary instruments (bongos, etc.,) as heard on many of the records.

Yeah, I love the sound and feel of the Starcaster. Although many are heavy (which is a deal breaker for me,) I was lucky to find one which was not. Mine is also strung with Thomastik flats (like my Ric.) The Starcaster is interchangeable with the Ric, so it just depends one which bass I feel like playing on a particular day. I'll typically only bring one bass to a gig.

Thank You!

biguglyman, RedVee and Rumble Thunder like this.
  15. Emster

Emster

Jun 11, 2018
    Thailand
    Let this geezer (68 years!) set you young un's straight, gather round my knee...
    First heard Beatles as parents were driving us around Mt Hood and I got out to pull up antenna. DJ said "Here is a song by some group from England (!?): From Me to You. It was summer, couple months before they made their big splash in States. 10155719840593361.
    I had this album, opened where black meets white. On back were little hearts where girls were supposed to put photo, with caption "Paul loves...", "JohnLoves..."etc. It wasn't til later Capitol finally got on the wagon and put out "The Early Beatles". I also had a Capitol album that was half Beatles half Beach Boys. Never seen anything about that, but didn't look hard either...
    Also my 45 copy of She Loves You was put out on Swan Records...
    Beatles played Portland Aug 65, Help the movie came out that week. I had main section ground floor so they were not far away from me. Played all of 50 minutes (bit longer than most places, it was said). I must admit Rolling Stones I saw a year later were better concert... $6 may seen cheap, but $1.25/hr...
    Beatles are why I took up guitar. Forgave them long ago....

16. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Wwwoooowwwwww
    Killer, man :bassist:
    I don't know anybody who has actually seen the Beatles!
    So what songs did they play? The Help songs? Did they do any encores? What song did they start the show with? Did every Beatle introduce a song? What was the last number?
    Man, they did that show the year I was born (1965).
    I bet that was a crazy night. Could you hear the music at all over the screaming girls?
    Wow, that's just so awesome!
    drooldrooldrool

Swan records?
    Never heard of them, lol.
    The B side should have been , "I'll Get You" or did Swan release something else on the B side of "She Loves You?"
    That Vee Jay album is far out. Some band from England, eh?
    What a tripping story. Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, man most excellent stuff. Terrific story, amazing!

nixdad likes this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    @Rumble Thunder - I found a live video clip which includes a portion of "She Loves You." Here it is if you'd like to check it out:

I also found a video which includes a portion of "It Won't Be Long."...

18. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    WOW! Just, totally, WOW!! What a fantastic sound you've got there. Loved "Think For Yourself" and "No Reply", especially. I've jammed with others on "Nowhere Man" and appreciate the unintuitive bass line. Oh, but your vocal harmonies are great. Loved the call-and-response of "It Won't Be Long". You guys got a good thing going. I'm SO jelly!

Rumble Thunder and nixdad like this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for your kind comments, G-Dog! Yeah, I love playing with these guys, as they sing their a$$e$ off. We've since trimmed the band to 7 members overall (the audience is now the 8th member,) and I've played bass exclusively since 2017, so we're no longer splitting bass duties.

20. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    What?!? The Fab 8 only has 7 now?? Oh, no, not another band name that needs explanation, like The One-ders!! Wish I could split the bass duties and help with vocals so you wouldn't have to explain. I'd be willing to learn tamborine! But, sadly, I live too far away. (sigh, sniff, sniff)

nixdad likes this.