1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All Things Must Beat. Please share your Beatles stories, comments, insights or anything Beatles!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rumble Thunder, Jun 10, 2018.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    HA! One of my favorite movies. Yeah, the member change was necessary at the end of 2016. Lesson learned - never include the number of band members in the band name! Besides singing, the former 2nd bassist now plays all of the ancillary percussion instruments & more (bongos, tambourine, cowbell, claps, harmonica, fire bell, alarm clock, etc.) Besides the band sounding better and sets flowing so much smoother with 1 bassist, deleting a member simplified and improved our stage setup as well (4 in the front, 3 in the back.)

Try to find some other musicians who love The Beatles as well in your area. I'm certain you'll have just as much fun as we do!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Rumble Thunder and G-Dog like this.
  2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Vee Jay milked that one Beatles album for all it was worth. Here’s another repackaging. I had this.

A181641E-2344-4E32-97C9-AD4C4EB20A06.

Rumble Thunder, tbplayer59 and nixdad like this.
  3. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Ok, that was awesome!!!
    Oh man, did I enjoy that!!
    It Won't Be Long sounded great, those bgv's are killer and the ending to She Loves You was all that and a side! Thanks for sharing those vids. I really dig early Beatle tunes and you guys are nailing them. I can't ever recall a band covering, "Think For Yourself " but you guys killed it!!
    Wow, thanks again for posting, I really enjoyed listening! :)

nixdad likes this.
  4. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    It Won't Be Long was especially killer! I was really digging that one. Great tune and they nailed it.

nixdad likes this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for your kind comments!

Rumble Thunder likes this.
  6. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    The one- ders!
    Ha!
    T. B. Player jams again. :D

nixdad and G-Dog like this.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The mental leap to using the studio itself as an instrument was amazing, and the resulting music quite mind-expanding. My first evidence of the appeal of their music crossing generations was when I heard my maternal grandmother (who referred to the rock I listened to as 'n**ger music') whistling along with "Let It Be".

nixdad likes this.
  8. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    So, I have been thinking about what would be the most iconic Beatle song and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Yesterday."
    But quickly after that ( based on the sound of the record and the impact it had) I convinced myself that, " I Want to Hold Your Hand" would claim the most iconic prize. The song has an amazing sound to it and it just has this something... I think you'll understand. ;)
    Plus it is essentially the bridge for the British Invasion so to speak.

However, after a few days, some other songs came to me as being iconic as well. "Yellow Submarine, Hey Jude, Birthday, Something, All You Need is Love, "Let It Be" and Sgt. Pepper stuff! There is so much material...Day Tripper? A Hard Day's Night? Help? So I am now rethinking the whole thing and am at a loss with it. Would you give it to "I Want to Hold Your Hand?" What song do you think is the most iconic? What song most completely captures the essence of the Beatles? Or is this impossible?

nixdad likes this.
  9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    There’s so much, but, having been tuned in for the whole Beatles journey at the time, I think “A Day in the Life” fits “most iconic” in my book.

nixdad and Rumble Thunder like this.
  10. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I can totally see that. It really captures so many Beatle-esque facets. Especially with Paul's jam in the middle plus Lennon's line, "He Blew his mind out in a car" is chilling and of course the chord at the end is indeed iconic. Yeah, that could be it.:thumbsup:

nixdad and TomB like this.
  11. Hey Bulldog

Across The Universe

Don't Let Me Down

Honourable mention to "You Know My Name, Look Up My Number"...

Actually, all of it. I love everything they wrote.!

nixdad and Rumble Thunder like this.
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’d call it the crowning achievement in an album that represents the pinnacle of their work, personally. Of course, fortunately, that debate will be and should be endless :)

Rumble Thunder and nixdad like this.
  13. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    "She Loves You" with its iconic "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" chorus made more headlines around the world than any other Beatles song! But, instead of heralding the next here-today-gone-tomorrow fad, it was the beginning of an unprecedented musical and cultural revolution that is still reverberating 50 years later.

They claimed only to be reflecting existing rock-n-roll music, but it turned into much more than they, or anyone else, could know, expect, or handle. The message of love awaiting, yet misunderstanding, exhilaration promised, yet not found, a high that can only end in disillusion, yet hope that peace can prevail.

Sure, there are more artistic, heavy, poignant, emotional, insightful, whatever, Beatles songs. But none other says, simply, "The Beatles", to more people of the world than "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" (which many thought was the song title, if not the band's name).

Rumble Thunder, RedVee and nixdad like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    BTW, this song is another example of Paul’s bass playing prowess, and how progressive he was as a musician. Although it’s a simple song, put on your headphones and listen to the bridge. It’s 1963, and Paul’s actually playing bass chords on his Hofner with flatwound strings. His chord playing is much more prevalent on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” playing a Jazz Bass with rounds.

Rumble Thunder likes this.
  15. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Yes, I was always taken with Paul's bass chords in "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and, especially, in "And I Love Her".

Rumble Thunder, biguglyman and nixdad like this.
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good pull!

G-Dog likes this.
  17. I'll always remember the first time I saw The Beatles. Sunday, February 9, 1964, the day after my tenth birthday. The whole family was huddled in front of our old Admiral 27-inch black and white TV watching the Ed Sullivan Show, as we usually did on Sunday nights, my mom and dad on the sofa and me, my brother and sister sitting on the floor in front of the TV. We were so excited that we were going to get to see The Beatles for the first time! This is what we saw:

We were enthralled! All three of us children were rocking back and forth and really enjoying what we were watching. The very first thing my mom said was "Look at their hair!", they didn't think it was possible for boys to have hair that long! Next day at school the place was buzzing with excitement: "Did you see The Beatles last night?". That morning before school we all got rid of our JFK haircuts and started combing our hair like John or Paul.

Of course being kids we didn't care about any sociological impact The Beatles had, but it became apparent nonetheless. America had been in a funk since the Kennedy assassination a few months before, and The Beatles came and lifted the country out of its funk. They brought a new joy and energy to the scene, and nothing would ever be the same again. They were soon followed by other British bands, and the British Invasion was off and running. Other events both good and bad followed, and from this vantage point, over 50 years later, it seems like everything led from that night on.

Rumble Thunder, GregC, RedVee and 2 others like this.
  18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    What a wonderful memory to share with all of us. I was only 2 1/2 at the time, and don't recall if my parents and older brother we're watching Ed Sullivan that night or not. Your description of that night brought back many great memories of family time and Sunday nights around the tele, as well as a reminder of how The Beatles impacted all of our lives. Well done.

Rumble Thunder and stratovani like this.
  19. toprekoms

toprekoms

Aug 22, 2010
    "In My Life" is the most beautiful love song that I have ever heard.

20. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Yes, "In My Life" is a very nostalgic kind of love for the past.

But, "I Will" is the most beautiful love song for a future that is hoped to be.