Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All things Tousaint

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    A forum for Allen Tuossaint So much can be said about His carieer. What do you love?

AJ

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I love Allen Toussaint. Minit had some great artists.

Here's a guy who played with Snooks Eaglin and Earl King, and was chosen as a replacement for Huey Smith. I really like some of Ernie K-Doe's stuff, Irma Thomas, and Fats Domino.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like Jean Toussaint - I've seen him lead trios several times - with no chordal instrument - Sax, bass, drums!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Come on guys this is starting to worry me.

Jazzbo are we the only ones who know where New orleans is on the map? I remember talking with you about Zig living in SF.

That old school stuff is great My favorite is the Lee Dorsey stuff. Confussion is heavy as is so many.

AJ

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you can't even spell the name !! :D

Here's a pic of Jean Toussaint :

[​IMG]

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ahhhhh......!

Ok Allen Toussiant (better Bruce?;) ) is a producer/ song writer. He has had a finger in a BUNCH of american pop music for the last 40 years. You Dont get bigger than this guy.

In the early 70's when the New Orleans sound hit pop music Every body wanted to work with this guy.

All those sessions that the Meters played on ,well this is the producer who hired them.

He's also first generation right from Professor Longhair Now orleans style piano and his playing on his own productions has put that vocabulary into pop music.

Just to name the tip of the Ice burg he's written.

Working in a coal mine,Sittin in LA LA waitin for my YA YA,Get Out of my life Women,Every thing I do is gonna be funky,Yes we can can,Ride Your Pony,What is sucsess,On your way Down,Sneakin sally through the Ally,Summer Nights,What Do you want the girl to Do,Lady Marmalade,......

Albums he pruduced and arranged

Robert palmers ;Sneaking sally ...

The meters ;Rejuvination

Doctor John's Right Place wrong time/deffitively Bonneroo

AND IT JUST KEEPS GOIN!

Sure some of his thing is cheesey but the leaves of his tree extend SO far that his influence is in places where you might not ever expect it.

Come On Guys Wheres the Props?

AJ

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I adore New Orleans music. Obviously the Meters are a huge influence to many of us, but I've always loved Dr. John, I'm a HUGE Professor Longhair fan, my car is named Booker after the enigmatic James Booker, I adore Harry Connick, Jr., and so much more of the music. Allen Toussaint had his finger on much of it. He was the Berry Gordy of New Orleans.

8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Anyone know where to get tabs/chords to Toussaint tunes???

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Allen Toussaint Collection is a great album to start with if you aren't familiar with his work. I first heard "Soul Sister" on the soundtrack for the film "Another Day In Paradise" and knew I had to hear more from Toussaint. The Allen Toussaint Collection is a nicely compiled greatest hits of sorts and I highly recommend it.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Soul sister has the funniest cheesy lyrics;)

AJ