1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All this for $750?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    So I ran across this luthier in Boise, Idaho who says he's made 13 of these so far and is selling them for $750 bucks. As you can see from the pics, he obviously has the tools and shop to be making these. But selling them for only $750?

My vision while designing and refining this model over the past year was to bring back some sanity to the music instrument market. It got to the point a person needed to spend a small fortune for a quality bass or buy a subpar instrument and live with it. I use quality tone woods and quality U.S.A. components only. The Panzer is the lowest priced American made bass on the market according to the editor of No Treble Magazine. A very smooth playing and comfortable bass. I make each one by hand in my shop located in Boise, Idaho. A high quality instrument at a reasonable price.

Here are the specs for the black one
    • Alder Body
    • Flamed Maple Neck
    • Bocote Fretboard
    • EMG 35 P4 Pickup and electronics
    • Hipshot A Style Brass Bridge
    • Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    • Hipshot Speed Knobs
    • Tusq Nut 1-5/8"/width
    • Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish
    • Hard Shell Case included
    And the white one weighs in at 7.8lbs.

If they play and sound as good as they look, I'll take one of each please.

Come on W2, I need my tax return ASAP!

r_low_vaughn_008.jpg r_low_vaughn_007.jpg r_low_vaughn_001.jpg r_low_vaughn_003.jpg r_low_vaughn_004.jpg r_low_vaughn_005.jpg r_low_vaughn_006.jpg

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Well... when you try to introduce a new product , you do so at a loss. I do think the 750 covers the cost of the materials (by far), maybe not the “handmade” labor.

I you can spare the cash , buy it!

3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Classy lookin'!

4. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I really don't need another bass. I need more recording gear. But...
    That's really hard to pass on, that is one gorgeous bass.

Glenn Johnson and semiprohooker like this.
  5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    It is very elegant, yet modern at the same time. And very unique.

6. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
  7. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Those basses look awesome! Very neat having a completely built in ramp.

I want one of these. Check out the translucent finish on the flamed maple neck!

- John

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Glenn Johnson and Clark W like this.
  8. I spent some time looking at the headstocks, trying to decipher the text.

I gave up. Googled.

R. Low Vaughn

StayLow, Glenn Johnson and TNCreature like this.
  9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Hmm very cool looking, kinda like the Lace Helix Bass. Got to go look and see if there's a 5vr.!

Glenn Johnson and Clark W like this.
  10. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I didn't name the luthier because I didn't want anyone trying to say I was on here trying to sell his basses. i almost blurred those headstocks out. Not sure what the rules are on a post such as this. But the basses are just too gorgeous not to share and why mess up the pics blurring part of them out?

11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    That ramp is the first thing that stuck out to me about these basses :D
    Normally I'm not a fan of ramps, but the way this was done it continues the flow of the look of the neck, almost like a through the body neck does.

12. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I LOVE both the body style and headstock. Looks fantastic. EMG DC's ROCK. The ONLY drawback I see so far is the lacquered over back of the neck. I'd much prefer a well finished satin or oil finish ala Musicman.

13. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Thanks for digging those up. His early stuff sounds like it may have been a little different. And there sure are some picky people over a $750 bass that is probably better than most $750 basses out there. One didn't like the name, lol. Really? That's all they could come up with to complain about? SMH.

The guy is obviously pretty talented. And for the price, if they play and sound as good as they look, I'd take one over a MIM Precision any day. The pup he's using is basically EMG's "active" answer to the P pup.

tindrum, wintremute, JRA and 2 others like this.
  14. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Sandpaper and elbow grease cures that problem.

Aqualung60 and Clark W like this.
  15. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I agree with ya on the neck. But for that price I bet I could over look it. Might even like it. I have never owned a painted neck. I have played one on someone else's bass and to be honest I didn't even think about it at the time.

fhm555 and Skillet like this.
  16. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Unless I picked it up for $100 or so, I don't like altering instruments in this way.

KJMO likes this.
  17. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO

Buy it LOL!

Clark W likes this.
  18. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I hear ya there too. Just rub some GHS fast fret on it and go!

petch and Microbass like this.
  19. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I just bought #007. I'll repeat what I edited my above post to include... Look at that translucent finish over the flamed maple neck! I wondered why someone would use flamed maple with a black finish... Then I noticed you can see it.

- John

FunkHead, tindrum, vid1900 and 6 others like this.