All this for a bass...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by relman, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Ok, just came back from a big, famous musical instrument chain (in canada) and i am very dissapointed in what i just went through with one of the guys there. There was this beautiful '62 reissue Jazz Bass hanging on the wall. I picked it up and played it for a little while. After a couple seconds I thought "Hmm, wonder why this bass has roundwounds". I asked this guy over there (the jerk who knows **** about fenders) why they didn't put flatwounds on this bass. He told me they ordered it with flats, but he changed them as soon as he got his hands on the bass. I asked him why, and he said that no one plays flatwounds anymore. I told him I still did, and he laughed at my face, asking me "So, how's your blues band going?". I replied to him sternly that i play with flats in my modern/vintage-ish band because of the tone they give me. All of a sudden he started raising his voice, saying how i was wrong, that i didn't use the right strings, that i was just a begginer, etc. He sneaked in a couple swears here and there, while i jus stood there listening to his crap.
    Out of the Blue, the manager comes out and starts yelling at him for being a jerk. Five minutes after, i see hima the the register, giving back his name tag and stuff. The manager came up to me and apologized. He actually said that he was the one who ordered the flats, and that he was also getting sick of the guy's stupidity.

Beautiful Outcome? I have a 35% percent discount in my next five purchases, and 3 sets of flats for free....

Long Live Managers!!!!!!!
  2. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Wow! Everyone should have customer service this good! Kudos to the manager for doing what's right, and to you for not losing your temper and becoming the "Bad Guy". And To hell with that idiot that was fired. "No one plays flats" my large, hairy posterior... :D
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    really cool story :)

with happy ending and defeat of the villian

Bravo! :D
  4. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the idea for a new thread. It'll be in BG strings.

5. Cool! Managers finally doing there job!!! Can i have a set of flatwounds? please? :D I have a story like that only I'm watching this going on. So I walk in to guitar center, to the bass section. and I see this guy playing a seven string. Guitar center cleark, nice guy but then this moron who think he can play bass walks in. Picks up another seven string and just starts tuning it. he says "This guitar isn't tuned rightit sounds lower than a guitar." I swear I wanted to smack his head. And then he starts playing chords like in a fear factory song. Guitar style. Ewww. So the guy responds by playing a cool bass line which i found out was a Lord Only bass line! The guy says "I could play that" and walk out of the store. :D
  6. Woah.. you've got golden patience dude..

a typiccal AllodoX reply on such a jerk would be

" Up youRRRRRs !! " ( Strong Schottisch accent ) * PUNCH *

7. You should've asked him for a job.

8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Nice one, Relman - I've got to say I chuckled when I read that!

Lordonly? The JT Lordonly? :eek:

It's those strings, I tell ya - that low F# must possess whoever's playing the bass at the time! :D
  9. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    But how many "average" people or bands play a seven string bass though?
  10. The JT lord only. i was listening to one of the songs and it's like"hey i'f heared this before" :)
  11. Well, there WAS a 6 string warwick nearby....:eek:
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Tell me more about this strange individual. Did he have a questionable haircut? Did he attempt to invite you to a "get-together" at his house? Did he mention carrots at all?
  13. Hmmm... comfy :)
  14. And did he say how many basses he has? And how he's a scary man sometimes on a website???

hmmmmm this sounds like a moderator on here?? Or is it just me?!
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

what the hell?

who's playing my bass lines?

really? cool :D.
  16. Yes JT you have made it to the big time. :D Damn i wanna band so bad
  17. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Relman, where about's in Canada are you talking about? And which music store?
  18. Relman, sounds like you were shopping at Long &McQuade ! ;)
  19. There's the catch, i wasn't allowed (under oath :)) to mention the store...but the chain is listed above...