All this talk about tonesuckers...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fretless FX, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    I've been using lots of effect for a while now, and I've never really noticed any loss of tone. So I was curious to find out which fx pedals you consider to be notorious tonesuckers?
  2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    do you mean tonesuckers when they are off (i.e. not true bypass), or tonesuckers when they are on?

I'm not a tekkie, so I don't know much about the true bypass stuff, however I suspect some of my pedals are sucking something when turned off.

In terms of those sucking tone turned on, the following are a list of culprits from my past:
    - Boss SuperOctave
    - Boss Overdrive
    - Boss Dynamic Wah

Actually, just about any wah from my experience, which is somewhat limited.

My silver bullet for killing tone suck is my BOSS LS-2.
  3. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    Both. I had the same experience with my oc-3, but I simply mix more direct signal in when I turn it on.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ehx bass microsynth
    mutron iii

are both particularly egregious offenders
  5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, when I was running all 3 of my Digitech pedals plus Morley Bass Wah (the Wah is true bypass), my signal degraded seriously, and I'm using good quality patch cables between the pedals, and Planet Waves on either side of the board. I got terrible farting and fuzz for some reason, which is why I'm selling them.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I haven't found a wah in my price range that didn't drop the bottom end. Maybe the Earthquake wah @ almost $300 doesn't. But I have 2 mortgages to pay.

I've recently run my BSW to my second amp in parallel to my main chain. While the effect is not as intense, I get to keep the low end.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My OC-3 seems to be an offender as well, but I'm removing it from my board anyway, mainly because it doesn't play nice with my 10s.

My old DOD pedals seem to suck a bit.

In all cases, I'm speaking of tone suckage when the pedals are off.
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Dude, try the Snarling Dogs bawl buster. They're discontinued now but can be had for under $100. It's a little trickier to use than say the 105Q or Morley but sounds better IMHO - wah's a low B string too.
  9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've not had any problems with low-end on my Morley Bass Wah, but maybe that's just me.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for the tip MF, I'll see if I can get some hands on err... foot on time with this pedal.

I love that foot shaped pedal too.